All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Yota Wiring (is it just me?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:22    Post subject: Yota Wiring (is it just me?) Reply with quote

Arond about two years ago now, I was working on the sunroof, cleaning and greasing the slides, unblocking the drains etc.
I had just done and the missus was waiting to go shopping so I left the motor running whilst locking up the house etc.
I got back in the motor to find smoke pouring out of the roof lining. A bit of a panic as the sunroof was open and I guessed, wrongly as it turned out, that the roof motor was phuqt.
Anyway, after a bit of a search, I found that the wiring to the roof mounted compass/altimeter etc was all one melted lump. No idea how it happened, i.e. nothing obvious so I isolated it all and it just sits there looking pretty now but does nowt.

Anyway, about a month past now, my rear sidelights went out and I found that the fuse was blown together with a sidelight bulb and a number plate light bulb. Fitted the new bulbs and a fuse and all seemed fine. Then two days ago the rear lights went out again only this time all the bulbs had gone and the fuse too. I put in new bulbs and fuse and everything worked as it should for about two minutes when smoke started to fill the car and I found the fuse panel melting. (don't buy cheap fuses guys, they sometimes dont blow and melt instead).
After an indepth search I found that all the rear light loom had melted and some of the front sidelight loom aswell, luckily not damaging anything else. I then spent all of yesterday completely rewiring all the sidelights, front and rear fitting new fuse holders etc. I can still use the stalk which is good news because it was only the circuit after the fuse that was faulty and all the dash lights still work as they have their own circuit.
I never did find out where the initial fault was but all that wiring is now defunct and isolated.

So, is it just my 80 or is there any known wiring faults on these motors? I'm not too bothered about rewiring bits as I have the skills to do it, but I am concerned about a potential fire hazard because I would hate to lose the Beast!!!!
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i cant comment on the wiring as fingers crossed my colorado has been brill. Well done on the re wire.

Joe
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch wood never had any problems with the wiring in our 80's and I can't think of anyone having mentioned problems like yours before.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Sparks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Electrics? Reply with quote

maybe some of the older 80,s suffer electrical problems mine,s a 91 HDJ and she was given to me with 3 burnt out window motors heated seats u/s and interior lights u/s i just hit the breakers yards and replaced the burnt out motors i think the windows and sunroof need regular lube.
   sparks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: