Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Puter help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 17:25    Post subject: Puter help needed Reply with quote

My daughters running vista & today when she tried to connect to the internet using internet explorer vista defender popped up saying it had a virus, Trojen-BNK.WIN32.Keylogger.gen. credit card details & passwords are at risk if she doesn't buy defender software to remove the virus $60, she can not connect to the internet, anyone help ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 17:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here for information http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-trojanbnk-win32-keylogger-gen.html

but I would use http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (free version) to try and get ride of it.

Be careful you download the right program, you should end up downloading a file called

mbam-setup-1.45.exe

Run that and it should scan the PC and remove the problem.
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta, but she can't connect to the internet, IE won't load, this " virus thingy " keeps stopping it.
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can she download malwarebytes on another PC and transfer via a memory stick?

or

She could try "system restore" (use windows help to find it) and try to restore to an earlier point. (that may not work)

I'm trying to think of easy ways, trying to explain how to stop services or programs over here is not going to easy.
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Anti-Virus (AV) does she have on her PC? I make a point of always buying the newest version of Norton Internet Security, it's a little resource heavy, but it's the best of the user friendly AVs. You can run a scan from the disk to find and remove the virus. I'd also advise using Firefox for internet browsing as it has less leaks allowing virus through than Microsoft Internet Explorer.

'96 LWB Colorado GX 3.0 TD
 - CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Vista Defender shouldn't be asking you to buy anything, it's a built in part of Windows.

**Edit: Feel free to PM me and i can try to guide you through. **

- CB Radio; VX Accessory Meter pod; Battery Isolating & Split Charge System; 2x Optima YT S 4.2 Batteries; 265/75/16 BFG A/Ts; 30mm Wheel Spacers; Impreza WRX front seats; reconditioned engine
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not Defender asking, it's a scam to get money.

I never install virus protection, I find them more intrusive than their worth.

On my Kids Pc's I install AVG, which is highly regarded and also Free  Very Happy
Erestor
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

24Seven wrote:
It's not Defender asking, it's a scam to get money.

I never install virus protection, I find them more intrusive than their worth.

On my Kids Pc's I install AVG, which is highly regarded and also Free  Very Happy

We had AVG on board ship and had loads of problems, may be due to infrequent updates - being at sea - don't really know as i've got quite lazy with software, hence defaulting to NIS

joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's got AVG, but she's gone into a strop at the mo so i can't get near puter to try & help.

Women,

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Took it into a repair guru today, took him most of the afternoon to fix, although not technically a virus it had stopped several other programs from working properly, all sorted now & thanks for all help offered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: