Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Keys - Part no. from back of key fob required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imprator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 19:47    Post subject: Keys - Part no. from back of key fob required Reply with quote

Hi.

I am trying to find out the part number(s) for the master key, with built-in 2 button remote lock/unlock transmitter, for a Landcruiser Amazon. These details are printed on the reverse of the key fob. (They are just part numbers - I am not asking for the unique key code for your vehicle!)

If you own an Amazon (ideally a 1999 model, but other years might be OK) I would really appreciate it if you would post the part numbers.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 19:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BRUM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 13:32    Post subject: Keys - Part no. from back of key fob required Reply with quote

Can't help with the part numbers, my '98 4.7 LC has a seperate remote plipper, but it may be worth trying here:

www.hickleyvaltone.co.uk

as a source of replacement transponder keys.

ATB
imprator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information - looks like a very useful site.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have the key I want.

I can get a new key shell, excluding the internal electronics, and my thought was to buy a used Toyota key which includes the remote controls and swap these electronics to the new shell. I have been told this will work, I just need to ensure that the part numbers and radio frequencies are tha same - hence my question (I no longer have my original key).

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:01    Post subject: key parts Reply with quote

Nev
i e-mailed you the numbers this morning  
Best wishes Keith
imprator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm - I have today received the requested information from bushburywolf, so no one else needs to post it here.

Thanks again Keith - your help is much appreciated.
rmurphy5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 100 has both key heads cracked which im told is a common problem. On that site and e bay there only ever seem to be the key with three buttons for sale. I need a two button key but with the key blade of the three button type shown on that site.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rohan
imprator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2-button shells for sale on e bay, but listed as Lexus items (only Lexus and a few models such as Amazons had 4-track keys in the UK until quite recently). There is an e bay listing at
http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/LEXUS-2-BUTTON-NEW-BLANK-KEYLESS-REMOTE-KEY-SHELL-CASE_W0QQitemZ4646380652QQihZ002QQcategoryZ100915QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The only problem is the blade length. All the 2-button shells have short blades at 40mm, but my Amazon has a 46mm blade. If yours is the same the new shell's blade may not be long enough, although 40mm might JUST  be OK. If not the blades might be swappable, so you could buy a 3-button shell with a long 46mm blade (available from the same seller) and swap the blades, assuming this can be done. The seller may be able to tell you if the blades are swappable. If he can't you might want to buy them and experiment - the keys are only £6 each including p&p.

I have no experience of these items so cannot speak from personal knowledge, but others have said that the non-oem shells follow the same design as the oem ones, in which case I believe the blades should be swappable and you will also be able to use your original Toyota key back with the new shell. You MIGHT also be able to swap your original key's blade into the new shell, which would save having to get the new shell's blade cut to match your vehicle.

If you give this a try perhaps you would post the results here as I may be following this route myself in due course?
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:52    Post subject: keys and remotes Reply with quote

I have the same remote. When I bought the car I only had the chauffor key so could not reprogramme new keys. Luckily the previous owner had the remains of a broken key in the draw. Now the important bit is in the key shaft as this controls the imobiliser. You need to read this to reprogramme your next keys if you lose the last shaft I was told by the Toyota dealer expect to pay £2000 to start again. I am keen to learn about and find a supplier of keys and remotes. I had the dealer supply and programme a new key and remote the cost was over £200. He reprogrammed all my spare keys so they would work. I used the new key for ayear then misplaced it. got all my other keys out not one of them would start the car. Took them back to Toyota after finding new one again and they said unless you use the keys regularly they can loose their programming. Hopefully this info has been useful and any info you have I would be glad of.
imprator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some manufacturers put the transponder (the electronic bit that identifies the key to the car's sensor and allows the key to start the car) in the key shaft, but most situate it in the plastic key head. That's where Toyota locate the transponder.

Transponders for both the remote transmitter keys (the ones with buttons to control central locking etc.) and the standard (no buttons) keys are located in the key head. However, whilst the standard key has the transponder moulded into the head, the remote keys have the transponder incorporated into the remote electronicss unit. This unit can be transferred from one remote key head to another as it is designed to be removable.

If your key breaks again (they tend to, it's not a robust design) you can buy an aftermarket key case shell and transfer the existing key's electronic unit to the new key shell. (You will also need to get the shell's shaft cut to match your vehicle.) You will then have a fully working replacement key for just a few pounds.

Standard (non-remote) keys can be obtained at reasonable cost from Toyota dealers. Auto locksmiths with the right equipment can also supply standard keys for many (but not all) Toyota models. However, the remote keys can only be obtained from Toyota dealers (afaik).

A key that can be used to program new keys is called a master key. A master key can be either a standard key or a remote key. A master key, wherher it is a standard (i.e. no-button) or a remote key, can be used to program either a new standard key or a new remote key (both the remote key's transponder and its remote control button aspects can be programmed).

If you have only one master key at the moment you might want to get a second standard master key, which will not cost a great deal, and keep it somewhere safe just in case your original master key is lost.

Just one caveat - there is a limit to how many keys can be programmed into the ecu. Once this limit is reached the ecu must be replaced (Toyota's only solution) at huge cost, or an auto locksmith with the correct equipment can reset the ecu back to its factory-fresh state, re-starting the key count at zero.

BTW - Master keys can usually be identified as they are the only keys which will open the glovebox. However, this is just Toyota's convention. It is physically possible to program such a key as either a master or a valet key. So the only way to identify a master key for sure is to observe the car's security light as you insert the key into the ignition. The light will extinguish immediately when a master key is inserted, but will remain lit/blinking for 1-3 seconds when a valet key is inserted.
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were unable to programme keys without the bare shaft from the previous owner so on mine the transponder must  be in the metal shaft of the key.
imprator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gensetsteve wrote:
We were unable to programme keys without the bare shaft from the previous owner so on mine the transponder must  be in the metal shaft of the key.

As far as I am aware Toyota have never used keys with transponders in the shaft, but then I definitely don't know everything!

However, I  received a similar response from a Toyota dealer when I originally ordered a new master key, and I suspect that your dealer's comments were made for similar reasons. In my case I had given my dealer the head of the old remote master key plus a valet key, but they called to inform me that as I hadn't supplied the blade for the remote master key they couldn't program a new one. The problem was that the old master key had to be used to insert into the ignition and turn it on and off as part of the programming procedure - obviously impossible if there was no blade.

"We've tried using the valet key to turn the ignition on and off while holding the master key's head next to it but that didn't work, so we have returned the new key to Toyota", they said. At the time I knew very little about the matter and accepted their comments. However, later investigation revealed that;
1/ Holding two key haads in close proximity to the ignition switch was never going to work.
2/ They could simply have swapped the electronic pack from the old key to the new one and all would have worked perfectly. They wouldn't even have had to do any reprogramming. If they had offered this option to me I would certainly have taken it.

Dealers can be very unimaginative.

Anyway, I have now been able to resolve my own situation and have successfully programmed a new master key. I can also confirm from personal experience that swapping the electronic pack from one remote master key to another shell will allow you to start the car with the new key.

If anyone else would like to program their keys in the future instructions can be found at http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html. Look for "On-Board programming". Note that this is an American site, but I would assume that the procedure is the same for all Toyotas worldwide; it certainly worked for me. Also note that the first time I tried this procedure I opened and closed the door and pressed the pedals at a steady pace - and the programming failed. The second time I proceeded briskly and it succeeded.

If you have a key you want to program this procedure only takes five minutes and will save a trip to the dealer (and about £60 in dealer charges).

Last edited by imprator on Mon Nov 06, 2006 20:18; edited 1 time in total
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read the less confidence i have in the main dealers. The less they know the more we seem to get charged they always seem to be learning at my expense. Our main dealer has photocopied a page out of their manual so I can programme my own keys and save the 20 mile drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: