NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyre wear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 15:40    Post subject: Tyre wear Reply with quote

I don't know if its just my car steering geometry is wrong but I seem to have tyre wear on the outside edge of the front nearside tyre. The tyres are inflated to the right pressure and i have heard of this happening on other Landcruisers about the 2 year old mark.

Has anyone else had this same problem and was it corrected by altering the toe in/out/ camber?

Realspeed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 15:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Realspeed

Are you still on 18" wheels?

I had the same problem and went to the dealers who said that was how they all are, and could not do anything, there only advice was to increase the pressure by about 2psi, but I did not think that was any good.

as I wanted decent off road tyres I had to go for 16" wheels and put some BFG's on and since then they are fine.

The older amazons were on 16/17" wheels and then they put 18" on, I bet the steering geometry has never been changed to take into account for the bigger wheels!

Steve
realspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the original Dunlop AT23 Grandtrak 275/60 R18 with just over 22,000 miles on the clock.

If one alters the wheel size, couldn't that then alter the speedo reading? Don't know only guessing but the wheels would do more revolutions to cover the same distance I would have thought.

As it will soon be time to change the tyres anyway could you advise which to get, bearing in mind the car is for about 90 per cent road use. Also I presume the wheel camber is incorrect for that size wheel for that car ,and not the toe in/out setting from what your saying

Realspeed
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts, the later cruiser runs 18 inch wheels, but the profile or the depth of the tyre side wall is less so the overall circumference is much the same, so if this is the case speedo reading and susspension geometry should be the same as 16 inch tyre models. Also do you do a lot of mileage on country type roads? the side of the road is often like a gully caused by vehicles all running in the same track, this means that the outer edge of the tyre can be carrying more load than the rest of the tyre, as the outer edge is on the "up" part of the gulley as it raises to verge level. Hate to compare your nice 100s to tractors but this kind of tyre wear pattern is very common on the front of 4wd tractors, and unless they have been in collision with a tank or another tractor it's very hard to knock the steering geometry out on 9 tons of tractor. Sorry if I've gone on, and if you only drive on nice level motorways please ignore Embarassed
realspeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope drive on normal roads so the gully theory although good doesn't apply. Few of my clients who do lots of motorway driving have come up with the same problem.

All I can think of is the roundabout theory, going around a roundabout throws the weight of the vehicle onto the near side, as its the front wheels turn the part of the tyre that takes most of the load is the near side front outside edge.
why the rear nearside tyre doesn't wear the same I just don't know apart from the weight of the engine having something to do with it.

With my other landcruisers 1996 era I never had this problem.

The only other thing I can come up with is the new landcruiser has hydrolic suspension and maybe this somehow contributes to the cause.

Realspeed
realspeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the latest. I have been down to the local tyre centre for a new tyre and also for tracking.
Result the tracking was out by 6mm which according to the centre would cause this problem.
Now for the rest, they said its not the first Landcruiser they have had in with exactly the same fault, also there was a Merc 4x4 there with exactly the same problem.

Make of it what you will but I do wonder if there is a connection with the ride height and sensor faults,as the merc had adjustable ride height as well.

Realspeed
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think that not having a solid front axle really makes a difference. With IFS, the angle of the tyre to the road changes dependant on height and lean, whereas the body on the older LC can roll as much as you like but unless you lift a wheel the wheel stays at the same angle to the road. Depending on the type of IFS the camber will vary from positive to Negative or from positive to slightly less positive. However also factoring in to this, as you turn the wheel the castor also makes the camber change (this does happen somewhat on a Solid Axle as well). You may find that the 100 series to allow for additional weight is set up to be slightly negative camber (wheel leans out at the top) and then switches to positive camber as the weight or body lean on the outside of a bend increases - positive camber gives better grip generally. In this scenario unless you are driving like a nutter, have a full load or saggy front springs, the outside edge of the tyre gets most wear.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice if life was that simple ! , ride hight and sensor problems are electrical and not affected by tracking. As a test once took my cruiser to a local Q fit tyre place to get tracking checked, they said it was out and adjusted it to correct setting, then took it to local 4x4 and car tyre place run by the guy who owns it, what a surprise the tracking was out!! I completley trust the second guy, and he uses the latest gear, so moral of the story seems to be, find someone you trust by recomendation etc and build up a relationship with them, use them even if they are a few quid more expensive, and by word of mouth etc we should all benifit Smile
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracking will vary a little with ride height, especially with vehicles that have long travel suspension. Tracking should really be set with the car at the normal weight. This is because as the suspension moves through it's arc, the distance between the wheels changes slightly and the track rods pull the front or rear of the wheels inwards slightly at the top and bottom of the arc. Whether it is inwards or outwards depends on whether the sterring rack (or steering link for steering box systems) is fore or aft of the axle line. Fore of the axle line increases toe in at the top and bottom of the arc, aft increases toe out.

So therfore if the ride height is wrong, the tracking could be wrong. Don't think by 6 mm but a couple of mm is possible.
realspeed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone. As far as I can see if car laden or not if height normal or not and everything else being equal , it to my mind at least should not wear a single tyre out on one side only the wear would be the same all over.
Apart from that i will just have to wait and see if the new tracking settings have done the trick( hope so) £200 a tyre is no joke.

Realspeed
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

realspeed wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. As far as I can see if car laden or not if height normal or not and everything else being equal , it to my mind at least should not wear a single tyre out on one side only the wear would be the same all over.
Apart from that i will just have to wait and see if the new tracking settings have done the trick( hope so) £200 a tyre is no joke.

Realspeed

Hi Again

I would not put the Dunlops back on, put some BFG's @ about £90 each.

A mate has had these on his landrover, it is six years old and done 60K and still not worn out (getting down though)

Steve.
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem. Took it to a very trusted tyre place near Winchester. Their verdict was everything spot on. If only new range rover sus was as good. They did not think my car had ever been off road the reason the tyre wears on that edge is the camber of the road. The suspension is so well set up on the LC the wheels dont flap around like they do on lrovers. If you drove in france it would wear on the other side. The only way round the problem is rotate wheels or holiday in the south of France 4 times a year  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: