All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Is the man Landcruiser much better than the Auto on diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 22:43    Post subject: Is the man Landcruiser much better than the Auto on diesel Reply with quote

I have a 99 auto amazon the only problem I have is fuel consumption 24mpg on a run unless you drive like a saint in France (then 26mpg).

I will be keeping this as the shiney family hack

I am thinking of replacing my ageing disco van which does 29mpg (even when driven hard)  with a 1997 Manual LC vx.
I remember the gear change being a bit crude but is the improved fuel consumtion worth it. I will be using it hard for towing and wont be looking after it I intend blanking the rear windows and removing seats. Was thinking of trying to find a proper van, the tax benefits would be good for me as I own a business, the irish have a landcruiser van but vehicles are expensive used in ireland.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 22:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the manuals are much better. Certainly on the new Amazons the auto returns the same mpg.

Can you not convert it to a van and register it as such for tax purposes? I remember people converting vans to campers and having to pay back some VAT, so why not the other way?

I was in discussion a while ago with the local licensing office about buying a new unregistered 4x4 and making it into a van, just as Mitsubishi do with the Shogun. But I could never get from them what esactly constituted a van, so I gave up. But I notice the RAC have some Nissan Patrols as vans, and Nene Overland will sell you a new style Disco van, and there's only have dark rear glass and not opaque panels.
realspeed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

A van is a vehicle which doesn't have side windows behind the front seats (driver + passanger)

To convert to a van would require the side windows removed and side panels welded into place.

Aother thing to bear in mind is insurance, as it would be a non standard vehicle I suspect you would be heavly loaded on your premium as a conversion special.

Also it would be considered a commercial vehicle with the appropriate speed restriction applying.

Realspeed
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except in the case of double cab pick-ups. And what about those half window vans with seats? You can even spec a van with all windows, and Vauxhall just won an argument with the VAT man about the little corsa van with a second row of seats but no side windows.

That's why I was trying to get from them what what constitutes a van, or more specifically an LCV. When I spoke to Nene overland, they said their commercial discos are registered as LCV's with dark glass in the rear, but no seats or seat belts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: