Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sick Amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realspeed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 0:10    Post subject: Sick Amazon Reply with quote

My poor Amazon has had to go into hospital. The motor that powers the tilt and in/out of the steering column has packed up (yet again).

It went in the garage for exactly the same fault back in May so I am wondering if they actually replaced the faulty part or did a botch repair.

This time they said it needed a new motor and cable, my thoughts are why should it need these parts when it has only done 24000 miles approx.
won't get it back until Tuesday.

Realspeed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 0:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them to show you the old parts this time. If you can remember and identify faulty parts mark them before putting in for work and check when you get it back. I believe the motor is about £400. I would have a look at the one you have fitted does it look new or is it covered in fluff and dust. I recently paid £55 for an mot station to fix my fog light when I got home it was out again. took it back and asked the mechanic he said he wiggled it and it came on. The most expensive wiggle in history I wont be going back there !. The garage said I should be happy a vehicle of that class only cost £350 to get through the MOT.
realspeed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the car is only 2 years old it is still under warrantee so it won't cost anything, but that  to me is not the point. A car having only done 24000 miles and 2 years old shouldn't develope the same fault twice, not only within 2 years but within 5 months of having supposedly been replaced last time.

I can see myself changing the car in at this rate (3rd time in for faulty parts in a year) .

I have been offered a Rexton top of the range as a straight swap, ok build quality may not be as good  but I get another 3 years warrantee, so giving it some serious thought.

I am beginning to wonder if the Toyota reputation for quality and reliabilty is beginning to slip.

Realspeed
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a main Toyota dealer ask about parts warrenty, the factory trained mechanic fitted the new parts last time so they should have warrenty, thats why you pay main dealer prices. If you have no luck try Toyota customer services, in this day and age he who shouts loudest gets results, this is a known weakness with these 100s, try Tradeing standards, post an ad in your local paper stateing what happend if you get no satisfaction. Refer Toyota customer services to this web site, there are more unhappy 100 owners than any other model, if it had got 202400 miles then maybe you would expect failures. Toyota are loseing the plot when it comes to UK vehicles , they rest on the reliabily record of other models at their peril, the new V8 RangeRover diesel looks very attractive as an alternative and out performs the 100 in every way, also don't breakdown much now!!!!
Good Luck give them hell and except no excuses.  Evil or Very Mad   Very Happy
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

realspeed wrote:
As the car is only 2 years old it is still under warrantee so it won't cost anything, but that  to me is not the point. A car having only done 24000 miles and 2 years old shouldn't develope the same fault twice, not only within 2 years but within 5 months of having supposedly been replaced last time.

I am beginning to wonder if the Toyota reputation for quality and reliabilty is beginning to slip.

Realspeed

I had a previous disasterous 80 series with 120k on the clock in the following 20 k and 12 months the auto gearbox failed and cost me £1500 and still was not right, the rear discs burnt out twice found faulty proportioning valve. The front hub seals failed then i noticed the foam was falling out the front seat that was the last straw and it went.

It took a lot of persuading to get me to buy a 100 series but after a poor effort by Nissan on a new Navarra I went back to a Landcruiser for £17k and 50k on the clock.

If you bought your car now for £28k with all the problems ironed out you would be over the moon. I can undestand your frustration at having spent new money. I have been very happy with my 100 series 1999 ( if thats what it is )

I think your right they have dropped their game a little but not as much as merc and vw. All the developed nations are struggling to compete with the cheap far east and need to get every penny of profit to pay their work force and their high cost of living.

I hope you get your problems ironed out with a period of troublr free motoring you may even grow to love it again.

I am a die hard Landrover fan and the new ones  are great to drive but make no mistake they fall apart are full of electronics and are as unreliable as ever. Now they can only be repaired by people with the right software. You only have to look at the surveys to see the Landrover products at the bottom
realspeed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just got the car back today, wonder how long it will be before this motor for the steering wheel will pack up.

Realspeed
Gensetsteve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of this problem but mine has been ok. I wonder if may be some steering columns have more friction than others and cause the early demise of the motors ? just a thought
imprator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering wheel adjustment motor failure is a known weakness on the 100's. I wouldn't suspect the dealers of foul play; this experience is well within the boundaries of possibility. The motors don't always fail, and many will run and run, but others have an extremely short life. Failure is usially preceded by a marked squeaking noise as the wheel moves in and out.

There really aren't too many weaknesses with these cars. The only other main problem areas are that the starter motor contacts wear out every 60,000 miles or so, and the variable height suspension sonsors can fail at similar mileages - and sometimes much sooner. Again, these faults don't arise on all vehicles but there is a definite susceptibility.

Overall, however, you really won't find another 4x4 to match the LC for reliability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: