Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Ironman vs OME

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 18:26    Post subject: Ironman vs OME Reply with quote

I've had a look through the forums and there seems to be plenty or people who have had suspension from both companies. But there is a BIG difference in price between the two. I was quote £458 for the Ironman Kit from West Coast 4x4 and £709 for OME from TBR.

Both seem to be popular enough. Does anyone have experiance of both that can justify spending the extra on OME?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 18:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Vagabond

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago and whilst I haven't actually bought the kit yet, I decided to go with the Ironman from WC4X4.

The problem, ironically, is that both these kits are good (if not very good). So almost everyone that has had one fitted is pleased with the results (vs the OEM suspension) regardless of whether it is Ironman or OME.

Ideally what would be the perfect test would be to have a kit fitted, then be allowed to run it for a few weeks, then have the other kits fitted and do similar. Then at the end make an informed choice. Or better still, clone your car fit both kits and you can drive them back to back to get a good "feel".....(I'm not taking price into consideration here).

...ok, back to the real world; Both kits seems to be good and have many, many recommendations on many, many forums (not just Toyo or LC).

So for me it was simply a matter of how much I wanted to spend and the kind of usage my LC would get. If I was planning an overland trip or two, then I might have seriously considered the OME kit but since my LC is primarily my daily driver and family transport, I opted for the Ironman kit.

Anyway my 2p worth.  Smile

Choices, choices...... Wink
ignat

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also faced this dilemma, and decided on the OME.  I was mainly concerned with reliability. Ride is good and has given a nice lift.

Some people I spoke to said that Ironman is decent stuff, but they thought there were just a few corners cut in the finishing.  

As Vagabond says it depends on the overlanding aspect.  I am going to be driving to South Africa next year, through Cameroon etc, so I chose OME because its basically tried and tested in that arena.

Also - Land Cruisers Overland offer a 10% discount for members of the forum which helps.

Have you looked at TJM?  I never did look at them but I hear they are very good too, but dont know what the pricing is like

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I went to WC 4x4 with my 120 series.

They did a great job of fitting the Iron Man 50mm lift springs and shocks.

But I am not sure I like the new ride height as she sits with no load.

Original front height was 742mm
Original rear height was 773mm

New measurements, from the same measure points.
front 800mm
rear 860mm

So have gone up 58 mm at the front
and 87 mm up at the rear

I feel the 87mm rear lift is too high, but I also need remember, there is no weight at all in the rear.
So if I put some weight in her, I think the front will drop to the given 50mm, and the rear will drop to the given 50mm.
The rear will obviously drop more than the front.

'vette
busaboy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual with things like this OME seem to be a victim of their own sucess and quality on the dampers has gone down quite a bit as alot of them are now made under license outside of Oz.
If you have a look through here, Julian with the 100 series had to take them off as they were overheating!
I have Ironman and think they are fine. If i knew there was a TJM supplier near me they would have gotten serious consideration too.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've finally took the plunge. Just ordered my Ironman kit from West Coast 4x4  Shocked
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:
Hello guys,
I went to WC 4x4 with my 120 series.

They did a great job of fitting the Iron Man 50mm lift springs and shocks.

But I am not sure I like the new ride height as she sits with no load.

Original front height was 742mm
Original rear height was 773mm

New measurements, from the same measure points.
front 800mm
rear 860mm

So have gone up 58 mm at the front
and 87 mm up at the rear

I feel the 87mm rear lift is too high, but I also need remember, there is no weight at all in the rear.
So if I put some weight in her, I think the front will drop to the given 50mm, and the rear will drop to the given 50mm.
The rear will obviously drop more than the front.

'vette

Just an update on my Iron Man springs.

As the hight was, to me, just too high, I went back to West Coast 4x4.
Actually, they are only 45 minutes away, so quite close.
The springs that were fitted were a heavy duty spring, where the LC120 needed a substantial load in it, to make decent ride quality, and to bring the height down.

So West Coast, suggested that they take out the 'C' class springs, and fit 'B' class springs.
The differnce is that the 'B' springs didnt need the 300kg in the rear, to give a good ride, and bring the rear down to closer to 50mm, which I wanted.

Well, paul said, give us a call next week, and we will book you in for the swap over.
I called after a few days, it wasn't even a week to be honest, and Paul asked if I could come in in a few days time, I can't remember the exact, but it was in about 3 days after the phone call.

It took them about 2 hours to have all 4 springs swaped over to the less sever one's.

What a total difference.
The ride is very good, smooth, and minimum body roll.
I really do like it.

What was the cost of swaping the springs ?
Nothing, all done free of charge.

My 120 looks right now, and boy, does it feel reight also.

So just make sure you ask for the right springs, ie, not the ones where you need to carry 300kg in the back to get some decent ride comfort.

'vette
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers vette.
Always good to hear this when you're just shelled out a the cash.

Is there any way to identify the rating of the spring before I fit them? I'm sure someone mentioned they had a kit with a mixture of B and C.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

regthing wrote:
Cheers vette.
Always good to hear this when you're just shelled out a the cash.

Is there any way to identify the rating of the spring before I fit them? I'm sure someone mentioned they had a kit with a mixture of B and C.

That was me,

They had B springs on front, which was right, and C springs on the rear, to carry the additional load.
But I wasn't carrying any additional load.
Thats why, the rear of mine was too high, and it did drive uncomfortable.

'vette
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:

That was me,

They had B springs on front, which was right, and C springs on the rear, to carry the additional load.
But I wasn't carrying any additional load.
Thats why, the rear of mine was too high, and it did drive uncomfortable.

'vette

Ahhh, did you nitice if there was any way of identifying the rating, label on the packaging or text on the coil etc?
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The identification is on the ends of the boxes.
2 springs in each box
on the ends of the box, there is a 'C' or a 'B'

Also on the springs, there is a sticker,
It is a clear transparent sticker, about half way down each spring.
The sticker is quite small, and measures about 1 inch x half inch
and on the sticker in black print is a 'C' or a 'B'

I will look for a picture of the sticker on the spring, but now you know where to look, you will easy find

http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/coil_springs.html

Here is my 120 series spring specs
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/toyota/91.html

Here is your 90  series springs
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/toyota/90_prado.html

'vette
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vette, don't worry about the pic, so long as I know I can check before I fit them. They should be here today or tomorrow
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally fitted the Ironman kit last night Very Happy
Vagabond

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of forgot to take a before picture Embarassed I drove into the garage with the thought of "remember the before and after pics" then just started to get tore in Rolling Eyes

The job itself is easy enough although one of the three nuts at the top of the drivers side strut rounded on me. The one at the back as well so access was very limited.

Ended up spending an age hacksawing one side of the nut off Sad but got there in the end.

The bottom bolt came out no bother

The whole assembly comes out ready to strip

This was the first time I've used spring compressors and my erse was twitching a bit at first!! But soon got my head round it. Compressed the spring enough that it starts to turn freely then removed the top nut.

The bit you're keeping is 48603 above.

I was surprised to see that the new spring seemed slightly shorter than the original (but they do mention this on their website, the lift comes from the spring being stronger)

Re-assembly is simple enough. The kit comes with new bushes, washers and a nut. A bit of podgering later and it all looks nice

That's it for the photos, I didn't take pics of the rear as I've covered that when I fitted the Milners kit to the rear and the only difference here is that I need to use the spring compressors as the spring is longer on the rear. Link

I'll try and get an after pic tomorrow. So far I'm happy with it seems comfy enough for every day driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: