Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Amazon chassis rust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timowen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 23:12    Post subject: Amazon chassis rust Reply with quote

I have a 1996 4.2 TD but was thinking to change it for a 2000 or 2002 Amazon as its getting a bit long in the tooth, and I fancy a nice smart, smooth motor.  Trouble is, all the ones I've looked at are rusting underneath - far worse than my beaten up old vehicle.  They don't seem to have undersealed them, and I can see there will be a real problems when they are 10 to 15 years old if they get a normal measure of salt and mud.  The one Colorado I looked at was much better protected.  All the welded seams on the Amazon chassis I saw have started to rust, and most of the rest of the under surface is going too - it wouldn't really be possible to treat it as most of the parts are inaccessible.  Anyone have any experience of this - I don't fancy spending the best part of 20K a vehicle that will rust out in 5 years.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 23:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always get it waxoiled ..very expensive tho'
or spray it yourself with a gardeners bottle type pump spay for weeds ect .. i'm thinking about it too but don't know where to buy the waxoil D.IY.  anyone know .. all replies will be welcome ..
kind regards to all
armstrong75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfords stock it and a hand pump spray that fits the containers.

But apparently it is cheaper here:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Hammerite%20Ancilliary%20Products&product=13386
JohnNash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 18:01    Post subject: Amazon chassis rust Reply with quote

The surface rust you can see is nothing to worry about. Have you seen how thick the metal is? Most cars don't have enough metal to form a weld that you can see, which is why they have to spot weld, If unsure, hit it with a hammer and it will ring like a bell. You will find it is built like a tank.
1978 BMWR100S (retirement project)
1994 BMW R100RT (last of the marque and mint)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: