Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diagnosing a 4wd fault.. how to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 60 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 13:24    Post subject: Diagnosing a 4wd fault.. how to? Reply with quote

Hi guys

I psoted a while ago asking about the locking hubs, as that was initially suspectd to be the problem, but my  brother has since had his HJ60 get stuck on the beach and says that the 4wd failure was probably the transfer case but he cannot remember how he came to this conclusion.

Assuming I have a large concrete hardstanding, a 3 ton jack and someone slim and young enough to crawl under and have a look, how do I test the full 4wd system health? I'm assuming something like:

Put front hubs to free, drive to 2HI, jack up 1 wheel, start engine and allow to idle in 1st gear. Once sure it's not going to drive off the jack, have a look under.. Can i see the input shaft to the tx case? I'm assuming I shoiuld at least be able to se ethe output shafts and the rear one will be spinning and the front not..
Then shift to 4LO (not sure the electric switch for 4HI works) and have another look.. should see both shafts spinning
Then lock one hub and look.. should see only one front driveshaft spinning
Unlock that hub and lock other.. should see other front shaft spin..
Unlock all hubs, shift back to 2HI, engage 4HI electic switch and have another look, should see both output shafts spinning

Did I miss anything?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 13:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier and safer way would be to unbolt the drive shafts and see what happens in 2wd and 4wd.
Another way is put in 4wd.You should not be able to turn the front driveshaft by hand
The electric switch operates a vacuum diaphragm to shift from 2wd to 4wd. Common faults are the hoses coming off at the solenoids or on the shifter at the transmission.
Or one the solenoids are dead.
For temporary fix you can usually get it going by swapping hoses
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
cjard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, quick question:
If the solenoid/vac system is knackered it never goes onto 4wd ? The 2hi 4lo lever is just a hi lo lever, and the dash switch is 2/4 chooser?
cjard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right.. Dead solenoid. I'm thinking to replace them with a different thing all together as finding a spare is proving a nightmare
AndyLL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got spares

Andy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjard wrote:
You were right.. Dead solenoid. I'm thinking to replace them with a different thing all together as finding a spare is proving a nightmare

There are aftermarket solenoids that do the same job. Also some of the 70 series have an identical set up but Im not sure if the LJ70 is the same.
Aussie wreckers have boxes of these going no where.
They have 2 colours ,one is a dark orange and the other blue?

Quote:
If the solenoid/vac system is knackered it never goes onto 4wd ? The 2hi 4lo lever is just a hi lo lever, and the dash switch is 2/4 chooser?

Yes ,but you can get 4wd by choosing low range with the lever.It does it automatically with a small linkage on the t/case.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part number for the vacuum switch as toyota call it is 83391-60010
I checked the  part number and it is found on the LJ70 and RJ70 85-89 ,Toyota Hiace 82-88 and the Toyota Cressida 88-93
It also found on many of the full size 7* series from 84-90 and beyond ,but not the 75 series(they are all manual shift I think)
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
cjard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosco; man after own heart with the motorbike choices there.. Havent yet plugged the cable into my Roadster to open up the fuel maps in 1st and 2nd, and remove the 120mph limiter but I'll get round to it..

The solenoids on this vehicle are white and grey and the white one was knackered.. Basically it was always in 2wd so whichever solenoid plugs into the 4wd side of the vac pipe is the one I'd be looking for.. That said I'd asumed they were the same and it was the wiring that was the other way round so that one solenoid is open (electrically active) when the other is not and this situation swaps over when the switch is prodded.. I've got a totally  diferent type of solenoid coming from china Wink for the grand total of about 4 quid inc postage tht's  got a 5 way piping sytem soi'm thinking it should be posible to plumb it in such that it serves all purposes and replaces both solenoids. I'll leet youknow how I get on

Re the 4lo/2hi lever.. mm i think  it's a red herring for this particular vehicle. With a knackered 4wd solenoid the thing NEVER went into 4wd regardless of lever position. When you sit with the engine off and move the lever you can hear a relay clicking in the dash and probing the solenoids shows the 4wd one being activated.. ergo I really do think that for my vehicle at least, the lever just does LO HI and the 2/4 wheel drive is electrically activated, and the lever has a switch attached to it that does the same thing as the H4 switch on the dash . seems toyota didnt want this vehicle to be run in 2LO (?) - any technical reason why not?
cjard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLL wrote:
I've got spares

Andy

i shall be in touch if my efforts with the chinese replacement fail Very Happy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjard wrote:
rosco; man after own heart with the motorbike choices there.. Havent yet plugged the cable into my Roadster to open up the fuel maps in 1st and 2nd, and remove the 120mph limiter but I'll get round to it..

The solenoids on this vehicle are white and grey and the white one was knackered.. Basically it was always in 2wd so whichever solenoid plugs into the 4wd side of the vac pipe is the one I'd be looking for.. That said I'd asumed they were the same and it was the wiring that was the other way round so that one solenoid is open (electrically active) when the other is not and this situation swaps over when the switch is prodded.. I've got a totally  diferent type of solenoid coming from china Wink for the grand total of about 4 quid inc postage tht's  got a 5 way piping sytem soi'm thinking it should be posible to plumb it in such that it serves all purposes and replaces both solenoids. I'll leet youknow how I get on

Out of curiosity I rang a few of the local wreckers and they are very hard to get these days,so Im glad you have found an alternative.

Quote:
Re the 4lo/2hi lever.. mm i think  it's a red herring for this particular vehicle. With a knackered 4wd solenoid the thing NEVER went into 4wd regardless of lever position. When you sit with the engine off and move the lever you can hear a relay clicking in the dash and probing the solenoids shows the 4wd one being activated.. ergo I really do think that for my vehicle at least, the lever just does LO HI and the 2/4 wheel drive is electrically activated, and the lever has a switch attached to it that does the same thing as the H4 switch on the dash .

I think you are right ,Im confusing it with the full manual system my 2 75 series have.

Quote:
seems toyota didnt want this vehicle to be run in 2LO (?) - any technical reason why not?

Yes but you can get 2LO by leaving the front hubs unlocked.Some owners have in the past added another shift lever to obtain 2LO
You can also go full manual with your transfer cse with the appropriate components
Its has an L shaped shift pattern

2WD
 I
 I
4WD-N-4WD LOW
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
cjard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLL wrote:
I've got spares

Andy

Hi Andy

How would I go about getting one of those valves from you? After 4 weeks delivery time, the chinese part I ordered that would have replaced both valves... Sadly doesnt work :/

Regards
CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 60 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: