Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Smoking Alternator Burning smells and battery drain???????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoomin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Smoking Alternator Burning smells and battery drain??????? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Wondered if anyone could shed any light????   I have a 1998 4.2 amazon. On my way to work on monday morning i slowed down at an island and saw a little bit of smoke from around the front offside wing! within 50 yards or so i smelt like burning wire. I slowed down to find somewhere to pull over and another 50 yards all my ignition lights came on...  As i indicated to pull over, i dropped her in neutral and she just cut out. The rac fella came (very nice man!) and after checking all the fuses (which were all ok) he attached jump leads to his van!  ignition lights came on, but nothing on the key, no turning over! He then very quickly took the jump leads off saying they were getting very hot!!!!  He checked the batt voltage and they were both at 1volt.  
I fully charged my batts at home, re-checked all the fuses under the bonnet and checked for any burnt wires etc  Nothing. I connected my batteries back up, but after 30 seconds, smoke began to come out of the alternator! Without the key being in the ignition let alone being turned on!!!
Now then!  does this sound like a major alternator failure? (buy a new one)  or does it sound like a wiring problem? (auto electrician tutting mmmm its not going to be cheap!!!)  All help and advise much appreciated.  I will be taking my alternator off,  re-connecting the batts to see what happens?  And taking the alt in to be checked, BUT!! it will surely be knackered now anyway, so if they tell me it is!  i won't know if the alt was the problem or the wiring??????????
Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

copper windings shorted, get a new alternator...  but first  try starting it without the electrics connected to the alternator, maybe give you some idea ..and hope
zoomin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:13    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

You are bang on the nose with that reply!
That was exactly what had happened!  did all the tests i could think of before going out and buying a new alternator.  £364 for a new, not re-con  one. Needed it quick as we were taking the caravan away, so i didn't have time to shop around.
Cheers.

Tim.J
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame about the cost ..but at least you listened to answers to your question ..always go for the cheapest ...CHECK..option first.. too many sob stories from peeps that ....PANIC Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: