Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2000 105R series 4.2 GX not starting after rebuild ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45    Post subject: 2000 105R series 4.2 GX not starting after rebuild ? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum and joined because I can't solve this particular problem.

I have a year 2000 Landcruiser series 105R GX that now wont start after a top end engine rebuild .

I have done two things to it which may or may not be related the non starting.

The bigger job involved replacing the camshaft, all valves, timing belt and checking the bores and rings after an engine over heat caused by a radiator hose failure. All the damage caused by that incident has now been repaired and the engine is back together...but the car won't start.

The timing belt is timed correctly on the marks. the only doubt i have relates to the BDC mark on number one cylinder. Is it possible to have the crank 180 degrees out or is there only one BDC on No 1 cylinder? I didn't remove the fuel injector pump whilst checking the bores but I did rotate the crank while removing and checking the pistons and bores. When I refitted the head, camshaft etc, the crank and injector pump marks lined up on the correct marks. The camshaft runs the same number of revolutions as the injector and I don't think its possible to get the crank 180 degrees out as I didn't remove the injector pump and all the marks line up as expected.  Am I correct on this assumption?

The other possible cause of the non starting is the injector unit. There appears to be no fuel being delivered. It has an immobilizer unit that has a black plastic 'box' on the injector pump with three wires going into it. The box is making a clicking noise when the ignition is turned on and there is current on the middle of the three wires when the ignition is switched on. No diesel is being pushed out of the injector pipes however.
Is this an air-lock, air in the pump or a faulty solenoid? I know there is a hack on this forum to by pass the immobilizer on this site ,but I can't find it...

I'm in Kenya and Toyota Kenya are worse than useless...so any ideas / thoughts would be very welcome,

Many thanks

Guy
Nairobi, Kenya.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Guy Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ..further to my previous post.
According to the 1HZ manual, you install the camshaft belt at BDC on cylinder No1. I marked all the points before I took the original belt off with no1 cylinder at BDC. Other than rotating the crank independently of the camshaft while the head was off, it was all reset on the same marks.

Another manual on the 1HZ engine says that once all the belt is on, rotate the crank clockwise to line up the TDC marks on the camshaft and injector unit and there should be a mark on the crankshaft flywheel as well.  I can only find one mark on the crank that corresponds with BDC. is this correct? I was trying to insert an image from the manual to demonstrate but failed...

Thanks
Guy
Guy Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

solved...
I think When I rotated the crankshaft while checking and refitting the pistons I altered the pump timing by 180 degrees. I'm not 100% sure as the timing marks all lined up..
The static timing was always correct,
Anyway, its not running super smooth..
Guy
Guy Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is running super smooth I meant to say...typo..
Guy
SteveM

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Guy.
Feel free to call back in for any more assistance. You're welcome. Mr. Green
Guy Wilson

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I'm not sure that you noticed that you were the only one to date to reply to my post. I think maybe I came in with too much information.
I now know a lot more about the engine than I did before I started!
All the best
Guy
SteveM

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy, I noted that no one had replied to you and was just being sarcastic.
I really am glad you got sorted though.
Oh to be in Kenya myself........
Cheers Guy, Steve.
Guy Wilson

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve. Oh to be in Cornwall! I was conceived in Mousal (spelling?)
Would you know where to find the hack for the injector solenoid on this forum. I have the injector unit  with the three wire connector that works with the immobilizer to the fuel cut off. I've had a few problems with wiring as a result of KEnyan roads and it would be great to know how to bypass all that in an emergency. I know some one has worked it out already and it would save me trying to work it out...
Its raining here...if that make you feel better..
All the best

Guy
SteveM

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Guy,
I think 'mousehole' is the official spelling but it's pronounced just as you spelled it.
I can believe you were conceived there as there's not much else to do in that part of the world apparently!!!
As far as the injector solenoid hack goes, I'm afraid I haven't even heard of it - sorry.
My most memorable Kenyan road trip involved sitting in the back of an old landcruiser with no door seals and nearly getting asphyxiated by the choking dust whilst being beaten black and blue by potholes and boulders, oh... and staring death in the face whilst the 'Eldoret Express' made a suicidal overtaking manoeuvre when driving towards us on the main road to Nakuru - happy days.
It's raining here too..... as usual.
All the best to you too.
Steve.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Wilson wrote:
I now know a lot more about the engine than I did before I started! Guy

Guy, I think you know more about this engine than most people on this site  Laughing  

I'm glad you figured it out on your own.

I have just bought a 100-Series VX, but I don't know much about it yet so was unable to help.

Don't give up on us though  Wink

Welcome to the site.

Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: