4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Amazon or Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin4639

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05    Post subject: Amazon or Colorado Reply with quote

Hi having really wanted a Surf I have viewed a few and to be honest like them but they have all been a bit scruffy (I know they are 20+years old so what do I expect), but the good news is my budget has now increased!
So now I really fancy a Land Cruiser, but which one? Amazon or Colorado, that is now the dilemma, can anyone point me in the right direction to help me make the decision. Looking for comfy, reliable truck to carry family of 3, big dog, lots of luggage and stuff, and tow a 20ft boat on a trailer and launch it on the beach in soft sand............
Not my main vehicle though, probably 5k per year.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!! This may have been better posted in the non technical Q&A; however, its here, so I will try to help if I can.

Firstly, how heavy is your boat & trailer combo?

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
Martin4639

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Fairly light, just a rib with outboard, not much more than 1200kg.
HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

1200kg, you wont even feel that!

In my opinion, if you dont need the extra running costs, complexity and size of an Amazon (80 or 100 series), I would stick with the nicest Colorado or Prado (90 series) you can find & budget allows.

As I have only ever had or dealt with 90 series (and some Surfs with same running gear) I can only comment on them.

For me, mileage isnt really a factor. Provided regular maintanence isnt neglected, they will do truly astronomical mileage without batting an eyelid; big, overly engineered machinery, designed to withstand harshest conditions & still keep going.

I saw at least 10 different 'cruisers before I picked mine; some low mileage but awfully neglected with low or no service history, some high mileage but immaculate with meticulous service history. And one farm heap, ready for scrap, at a greedy dealers.

Bought mine off e bay, from a pensioner in Rochdale. He was a Landcruiser obsessive, gutted that she had to go, but he had a terminal condition which meant he could no longer drive.
High mileage (150k miles) with manual gearbox, but really meticulous service history. Never missed anything that the Toyota service book indicated.

I fill it with large dog, sprogs, roof box full of outdoor stuff, attach large caravan (1500kg) and just go. Dont know its towing; power & torque is immense, balance excellent. Even towed to Scottish Highlands in snow.
In Summer A/C system is very powerful; wasnt designed for UK climate, designed to work in much hotter places, so it blows freezing cold here, colder than a pals new Merc even.

90s with non-D4D and Surfs run beautifully on proper biodiesel; I get mine delivered to my door every Saturday morning. 28-32mpg. Easy.
If you are handy with a socket set & a few spanners, most service jobs are do able yourself. Simple, logical engineering.

If you have any questions, please ask away. Others may answer you also.  Think there is a buyers guide with a few pointers & potential pitfalls in on here somewhere too. Very Happy

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
Martin4639

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, sounds like a Colorado then, Surfs now a bit too old and a tad small, Prado insurance seemed high due to import, so need to keep my eyes peeled for a good un......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> New member introductions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: