4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Front dif lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:30    Post subject: Front dif lock Reply with quote

Hi guys
Has any one fitted a front dif lock to the collarado??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:59    Post subject: Re: Front dif lock Reply with quote

It has been done and there should be some old posts covering it somewhere.

Be warned though, I understand that the received wisdom is that the 90-Series front diff isn't really strong enough for the sort of abuse that requires a locking diff. The advice is also to avoid trying to pull another vehicle out in reverse as that can cause catastrophic failure of the front diff housing - with or without a locker.

A Limited Slip Diff (LSD) would allow you to steer  Wink.

So what are you planning on doing with the truck (curious now)  Confused   Cool.

Bob.
Bogeyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

The truck is mainly being built up for over landing couldn't afford an amazon!!!
But I also do a bit of green lanning and the odd pay and play day
Was out with a friend at a quarry pay and play day the other week he's got a amazon
We were having a go on a steep gravely stoned axel twister slope and my cruiser would not get up even with rear diff locked in
So he had a go with centre rear and front locked on and went all the way up!!!
I ended up playing with my winch to get up
Boys and there toys!!!
So I was just curious to if any one had fitted one and how beneficial it was
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that was an '80' Amazon with beam axles, coil springs and radius arms ??

I have a 2001 1HD100 'VX' - all light leather, AHC, Cruise Control, 4-speed Auto Box and the 4.2 litre 24 valve diesel lump. It has independent front suspension like a 90 (but with a much better design of lower ball joint  Cool) it also has torsion bar front springing.  It has centre & rear diff locks but nothing on the front  Rolling Eyes.

I use it for towing horses around farms for shows and 'trecking' events (daughters  Rolling Eyes). It costs enough to keep it and the '95' on the road so I don't go out of my way to break them in quarries (sounds like fun, though).

If you do a search you should find something on fitting a front diff lock.

Bob.
Trevski
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ARB RD90 air locker in the front of my KZJ90. Not fitted by me but a previous owner, I use it sparingly and only when the wheels are pointing straight (actually I have turned the steering with the locker in if it's very very muddy and little risk of a sudden snatch grip).

I've found that having the bash plates on allow you to bump and skid over some rough terrain and if it's very cross axle stuff where the rear locker can't get you through, dial in the front locker to "pull" you past the obstacle and then switch it off again.

It's a very different driving style compared to my old 70 series with open diffs, I would say if you've got the money then a front locker is a useful plaything to have but you do need to drive with mechanical sympathy at the front of your mind.
'96 VX 24v manual
'98 SWB KZJ90
'95 VX 12v Auto offroader
'00 100, BFG KO2 AT
'98 SWB KZJ90 - Broken
'89 LJ70 SWB VX Turbo. SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: