All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

FZJ 80 4.5l G-Model carburetor problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LC G-Model

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 23:29    Post subject: FZJ 80 4.5l G-Model carburetor problem Reply with quote

Hi,

Hope some one can guide me on this issue.

I have a FZJ 80 4.5l petrol G-model 1996 version. Think the code is actually 1 FZ-FE (although the E seems to stand for fuel injection and mine is definitely not). Bought it in Egypt in 1996. Great car. However, not known in the UK which makes parts and tuning more complicated. Car is standard as bought.

Two weeks ago got a vacuum leak. No power and shocking to move. Repaired that but the engine did not return to its beautiful self which it was before the vacuum leak, which I cannot understand why that is. At low rev it does not run smooth and smokes blackish. This seems to indicate a too rich fuel mix. High rev seems fine (although I have not measured the fuel consumption just yet). Obviously fuel consumption is up. The carb has two chambers. One with the usual bits where the valves are cable controlled and the choke valve sits and one (separate) chamber that contains a valve that is very hard to move and seems to be vacuum controlled. If it opens slightly at idle it makes the uneasy running a lot worse as it seems to flood the carb with fuel. If closed it is better, but not entirely smooth. Is this valve supposed to move this difficult? Can this actually move by the vacuum if it moves difficult by hand?

Does anyone know where to get the carburetor settings from for this engine/carb or does anyone know what the problem could be? Bought a Haynes manual that is supposed to cover this engine but does not show anything on this double chamber carb.  

Thanks so much for your help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 23:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the engine code is 1FZ-F. Do a bit of googling with that and see if you can find anything. I think they sold the carb version in 2nd and 3rd world countries.
LC G-Model

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DaveN. The engine code is indeed 1 FZ-F. It was indeed sold in many developing countries. The car we bought 18 years ago and still drive Wink was bought in Egypt. Did loads of internet research. No posts anywhere with the topic of Carb problems for this carb and this engine. Its even hard to find any reference to it. Not even the Haynes manual that is covering this engine covers this specific carb, let alone the second chamber of the carb where the stuck valve (which seems to be related to my issues) is sat. It just mentions 'carb body'. Very helpful ! I have found a similar carb now on alibaba from Hangzou in China. I have approached the seller for more info and price. Also if they sell parts.

Having  gone through all the issues I now believe it could be related to a cast in diaphragm that is meant to push-turn back the rod on which the second stage valve is mounted in the second carb chamber. That particular diaphragm, which is encased on the side of the body of the carb (so cast in), seems to be meant to push the valve rod back through an external connection between the diaphragm and the valve rod. However, when you move the connector into the diaphragm on its own it sounds very different from any other diaphragm. As if it is torn and hence no resistance at all.

It also makes no difference when you do this with the engine running.

So far my updates. I will keep searching and if anyone can offer any suggestions please do. When I am able to post pictures (am too new to do this currently Sad I will.
andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some parts for sale here, http://shop.cruiserparts.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44_4820&zenid=bd69c80d86dd8601d3f7b229e39097d8
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
LC G-Model

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:09    Post subject: Parts for FZJ 80 1FZ-F 4.5 l petrol carburetor Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

Had a look. Unfortunately the carb on my LC is slightly different (if I could only post a pic Sad. I must have bought a very special model back in 1996 but it has done us super service for the past 18 years.

Got it back up and running to a decent standard now but still not entirely smooth at idle. Just about time as going on a 4,500km road trip with it in two days.

I will keep trawling the forums until I have a solution. Just applied for the LCOOL forum as well to see if I can find some details there.

Will keep you posted.
LC G-Model

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 14:44    Post subject: Carburettor problem LC 4500cc petrol Reply with quote

Well well,

Completed the 4,500 km trip without a glitch! Fuel use as before. What a car!!

Have not solved the issue yet though. Seems like the vacuum leak triggered the double choke valve in the second carb chamber to open, enough to flood the carb with loads of gasoline and trigger the engine to stumble at idle. Chamber was a bit blackish so think that is because it had not been working for a while (and maybe never has...). Guess that has to do with power at higher rev but as it has enough of it I never noticed.

The vale of the double choke is on a rod and that rod does not move freely. In fact you have to push it to move. This was my fail safe when the problem would happen again during the road trip, push the rod to get the valve to shut again but I never needed it.

So, now that I know the rod is the problem, I am looking for a refurbish kit for the carb to get the rod (and hence valve) moving again.

Will keep you posted on progress.
ATB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: