2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Changing to a Land Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leehebrides

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20    Post subject: Changing to a Land Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am long time owner of Landrover Discoveries, now on my 5th, however I am starting to get a little jaded with the entire landrover thing,whilst it is a good vehicle , it has so many faults, I get sick of shipping my present one off the island.

So we have started to look around for a replacement, needs to tow a boat, carry at least 4 sets of diving gear and be good off road. I would also like a good level of comfort as the older I get the softer I get.

I have had a look around a 60th Anniversary model in a mainland dealer and was very impressed.

I have paid a fortune out in repairs to my last two disco,s both owned from new and both under 4 years old, one tried to kill me by bursting into flames whilst I was driving along and the replacement, just keeps going back to the dealers for faults, wheel bearing, brakes, suspension and the final straw a a new turbo and all round new brake callipers and front suspension arms, I know I live on a island but its not parked in salt water.

So what sort of reliability could I expect from a Land cruiser,    I have heard nothing but good things , but asking the owners for honest opinions is always the best option

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Vagabond

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome - I'm sure you'll get an unbiased opinion about LCs here......  Wink  

Joking aside, like many others before you, I doubt you will go back to LR products after experiencing (any) Landcruiser ownership.  Smile
wobbly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcruiser build quality is superior to Landrover up to about 2009 - but the cost of Landrovers since then has skyrocketed, so overall I reckon you will be pleased by the change.

I would say - pick a model you want and then be prepared to travel, personally I wouldnt buy one from an area where heavy salting of the roads takes place (pretty much anywhere in England is ok, as most of the local authorities dont actually think to put grit down in the winter....)

I have consisitently found vehicles in the North-west (of England) to be good value, and have travelled for a day to get the right one's, although I appreciate you really are more remote!

Post up links to anything you are looking at, plenty of valuable opinions here.

Cheers

Pete
Leehebrides

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the land rover thing, of going backwards and forwards to the main dealer for faults to be fix, which make me a bit wary of buy from to far away, but I will bare it in mind as I am looking around. Thanks all
mike the pipe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of LC are you after. Diesel is a favorite and as for reliability is you wont find the UN using an LR its either a Nissan Patrol or an Amazon. However the Colorado is also a good bit of kit, but ulimatly the vehicle you buy is like any ....Luck, but if your mechanically minded, most of the work you can do yourself, but generally reliability is a Toyota`s forte.
Leehebrides

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel is my fuel of choice, only ever had diesel discos. I understand the 4.2 ? are the better engine, my last vehicle was retuned for more power is this possible with the Land cruiser, it was a case of the software being downloaded to laptop, tweaked and then up load back to the car, make a lot of difference.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leehebrides wrote:
Its the land rover thing, of going backwards and forwards to the main dealer for faults to be fix, which make me a bit wary of buy from to far away, but I will bare it in mind as I am looking around. Thanks all

With a Land Cruiser, the distance to a repair service center isn't really an issue.

It sounds like you either are looking for the 120 series diesel D4-d 3.0 liter (2003 to 2010) 175 bhp, generally 32 mpg.
Or maybe the bigger heavier thirstier 4,2 liter.
The latter engine is found in the 80 series (1992/3 to 1996/7 )
Also fond in the 100 series (1997 to recent)
However the original engine from 1993, has morphed many times, but is still generally the strait 6 cylinder engine.
165 bhp to 210 bhp and generally 22 mpg.

The 120 series is Toyota's most economical Land Cruiser.

The 80 series and the 100 series are very good, but perhaps a little big.
I would say the 120 series is as close in size to the Disco's that you have previously had.

Both the 80 / 100 series and the 120 series are infinity more reliable than LR.

vette
lometun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 21:20    Post subject: LANDCRUISER 100 Reply with quote

I have had my 2007 last of the line Amazon from new. It has around 65000 miles on it and it has never had any problems at all. It is very easy to service and I always do it myself by the book.
If you could find a nice low mileage 2006-2007 (last facelift) 100 model, it would be far cheaper than the 150 and in my opinion a much better car, for example the later 4.2 six cylinder engine is a well sorted lump and is streets ahead of the old 4 pot engine in the 150. My wife has a 120 series LC5 with much the same engine and it is nowhere near as nice to drive. If you decide on a 120 series, beware of all the problems as posted on this site, although my own 120 has not had any problems from new, now 9 years old. To sum it up, and my wife agrees 100%, The later Amazon is far better in every respect over the 120, and no difference in mpg.
We had a go in the 150, and we both thought it was nowhere near as good as the 100, and not worth swapping the 120 for (bearing in mind the money required to do so)
Leehebrides

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks all, lol who would have thought moving away from a car brand could be such a life changing decision, I am still wavering between a new D4 and going in a complete new direction with a land cruiser. Five disco,s Smile even the wife who drives the disco  a lot and loves it, is sick and tired of paying out year after year for things which should not go wrong for many years. 55 odd thousand is a lot to spend.

Thanks for the comments

My disco is outstanding off road can expect the same
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a descent set of tyres on the cruiser, make sure diff locks are all working (they need regular exercise)  you'll be shocked what these can do off road.
wobbly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a Disco 4.....

Awesome car, wife has one, but it will be going the day the warranty expires - and def would not buy one with only a 12 month aftermarket warranty (just starting to get them on the 2nd hand market).

Not sure what the direct Toyota comparable is as I've never progressed beyong 90 series!

Cheers

Pete
Leehebrides

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all again and thanks for your answers , it's been two years and I have taken the plunge, going to pick up my new model icon from the dealers after the weekend Wink, tow bar being fitted as we speak. So it's bye bye Disco,s after many many years, even after one tried to kill me by bursting into flames as I drove along Wink. I think I am going to enjoy being a Landcruiser owner. So thanks again for all your advice, and no doubt I be here asking questions.
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done

SO what ya bought ?
Leehebrides

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

64 plate new style landcruiser icon, with a few extras, pleased but looking to upgrade the touch 2 go to plus so I can voice call
Vagabond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I thought/knew you were looking at a 200 series from your first post about "..looking over a 60th anniversary model.."

Obviously the 200 series is fairly new and not many people have really given them a good thrashing offroad (given the price, I'm not surprised! Wink ) but the few reports seem to suggest that it is as capable as any previous model and that 4.5 V8 is simply an awesome power unit.

Enjoy your new "toy" - love to see some pics of it when you get a chance.  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: