2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

limp mode LC120 Landcruiser 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny_tr6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 23:41    Post subject: limp mode LC120 Landcruiser 2003 Reply with quote

Hi has anyone else had this problem with their LC120 Landcruiser 2003 or can anyone help. one year ago in April i was on holiday in Cornwall which is 400 miles from home in suffolk i had towed my 1500 kg caravan down no problem but on coming home i filled up the tank at sainsburys with deisel we left at 6 00am and an hour into the journey traveling at about 60mph on the A30 the engine managment light came on and the car went into limp mode i pulled into layby turned off engine then turned it back on it was ok for rest of journey. I didn't do anything else about it as it was fine from then on i put it down to water in the filter. Last year i went on 2 more caravan holidays after this with no problems but this year i have just done the same trip to cornwall and had exactly the same problem i filled up at the same sainsburys garage before leaving and at practically the same place into the journey the same thing happened i stopped and started it again then an hour later whilst on the M5 it done it once more i pulled on hard shoulder turned it off then on again and it was ok for the rest of the way home i serviced it before the holiday i am going to get the diagnostic code read this week just wondered if anyone else had had this problem.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 23:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be almost anything!  Possibly very early signs of a turbo problem?  Do you idle the car for a minute or so when you stop?  

You need to get the fault codes read.
nick j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would agree needs to idle especially after towing....
LiquidLAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles have you got on the vehicle?

I had a problem with mine appearing to loose all power, took it into Toyota who checked and replaced the filter and then told me I had a possible turbo problem...

They replaced the filter as they said there where particles in it, but did no further investigation to see where they came from.  In the end I drained the fuel tank myself, and dropped it out of the vehicle.  Once it's out you can remove the fuel pickup that sits under the rear left side seat.  If you take the unit apart at the bottom of the fuel pickup line there is a plastic gauze that forms an initial fuel filter.  Mine was completely jammed full of fibers, the best way I can describe them is they looked like cigarette filters all broken up.

I cleaned this filter with carb cleaner, replaced the lot and the problem went away... I did unfortunately have a problem with the fuel pump later down the road, but on the basis it will have been pulling against this blockage, I'm not surprised it wore out

Interestingly Toyota deny this primary filter exists.
Dudz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46    Post subject: Limp Mode Reply with quote

My LC5 2005 Auto did this on a regular basis which is pretty scary especially overtaking at motorway speeds! It would`nt show on the Toyo fault logs however the problem was eventually traced to the performance chip unit which had been fitted a few months before the problem started. Shame really because there was no loss of fuel economy & performance was significantly improved especially overtaking.
danny_tr6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply so far, i dont think it is the turbo . Its done about 125000 of which ive done 30000 with no problems apart from this, i dont think it is the filter blocked because i was doing 60 mph on a straight road when it went into limp mode. As i got further up into devon i took it up to 70mph to get up the hills with no problem if it was the filter i would have thought it would have done it again then but it only happened again when i eased off on M5 to about 60mph. I had thought it might be the (tunit ) chip but having the chip on for about 6yrs and towed thousands of miles in this time it seems strange that its only happened twice in this time whilst doing the same trip same rd same fuel. I should be getting the codes read on Thursday perhaps this will show something if i'm lucky!
Trevski
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my 2003 LC4 but this was after putting on a chip kit to give me the extra torque when towing my caravan. I got the local garage to pull off the fault code which IIRC was a turbo failure code.

In my case, switching the engine off and restarting would clear the issue for a short while. I did some digging around the internet and decided to dose a full tank of fuel with 200ml of 2 stroke oil which after running a couple of tanks of this cured my issue completely. The theory is that modern diesel has to be made up of a percentage of bio fuel, this does not lubricate the fuel system like olde worlde  diesel used to and the 2 stroke oil helps to return this lubricating property which can extend the life of fuel pumps etc.

The consensus was that the variable vane mechanism in the turbo was gunked up, not helped by the EGR contaminants. With the extra torque the vanes needed to move more since being chipped, the stroke mix has helped to clean this out.

I now run with this mix on each fill and have never had the problem return in over a year, I would give this a go before going down a costly parts swapping out process.
'96 VX 24v manual
'98 SWB KZJ90
'95 VX 12v Auto offroader
'00 100, BFG KO2 AT
'98 SWB KZJ90 - Broken
'89 LJ70 SWB VX Turbo. SOLD
Pragueprado

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, could be lots of things, but start by cleaning the MAF sensor (that causes lots of problems and can't hurt to clean it).

Then, I would say that if you had a bad tank of fuel, have changed the fuel filter and you still have problems, you might try the SCV valves on the fuel pump.
danny_tr6

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finaly got the code, P1250 (Turbocharger System Malfunction) i took on board what Trevski wrote about 2 stroke oil and had a look my self on the  internet it seems that a lot of people us it, i had some in the garage so i tried it the weekend done 150 mile and seems run very good.
Trevski
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug through my old threads and the 1250 code was the same as I had, it'll be interesting after you've run a second tank if your results are the same as mine. Keeping my fingers crossed.
'96 VX 24v manual
'98 SWB KZJ90
'95 VX 12v Auto offroader
'00 100, BFG KO2 AT
'98 SWB KZJ90 - Broken
'89 LJ70 SWB VX Turbo. SOLD
Scotspea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04    Post subject: Limp Mode Reply with quote

You will find quite a lot from me and others about this problem. I live in Cornwall and was towing my caravan up to Hawes. Stopped at Sainsburys in Exeter to fill up and the car went into limp mode 10 miles later. I drained the filter and all went well for the rest of the day. Stopped for a couple of nights in Birmingham and bought a Toyota filter. Car got worse and worse and I tried cleaning the connectors on the Red and Green solenoid valves mounted on the injection pump. You will find others mentioning these valves including multiple breakdowns in Ireland. Next holiday in France the car was so bad I took it to Mr T in Annecy. Service manager listened and said straight away it was the valves!!! They come as a set and are literally changed in 10 mins. The difference to the car was amazing. It had been sluggish but as it had happened over a long period was unoticed. Full power and no frequent limp mode. Unless you have a different problem I think you will end up changing the valves.

Cheers
Jet2work

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar issues, i blew out the red valve with compressor and sprayed a bit of silicone lubricant in.... problem solved! Thanks for the info guys
Jet2work

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi I bought  both valves from euro4x4parts for 285 euros plus shipping 15 mins of work a good 5mm allen key and car is running like a swiss watch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: