Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Noise

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's from Japan (allegedly) not China, which is a good start....  I would go for giving Bob some bear money to pull/press a new one in for you if your near him!  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest what mileage are you on?  

I'm on 170k miles running wheel spacers and the bearings are holding out ok so far, does seem odd to me to get a noise that bad, did it come on suddenly or was there a bearing rumble first?
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

lennytoyota wrote:
What do you think Bob http://www.japanese4x4parts.co.uk/toyota-land-cruiser-30td-d4d-kdj120-lwbkdj125-swb---front-hubwheel-bearing-assembly-6792-p.asp

I think that's the wrong bearing  Rolling Eyes .

I also have a '98 90-Series LWB, my front wheel bearing looks like this:

It presses into the steering knuckle, it doesn't have those flanges that are part of the steering knuckle on mine:

Mine is the same as this diagram (without the Free-Wheel Hub, which is for part-time four wheel drive models):

The front bearings are substantial items, I changed mine as a precaution when I was replacing the upper & lower ball joints but the ones that came out are perfectly OK at 135,000 miles.

I would want to be REALLY sure they are worn before going to all that trouble of replacing them.

I am around 4-hours drive from you. If you want to bring me a pair of steering knuckles with new bearings and ball joints then I'll be happy to press everything together for you. I don't fancy taking a 170 Kilo press down to you though  Laughing .

Best of luck.

Bob.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic - handy looking Jack you have their.... not seen one like that before!
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has done 138000 easy miles,looking at your picture I can get a clearer picture of the set up so the bearing I found is a no no,Thanks for the offer might take you up on it when I know for sure its a bearing.

Lenny
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Slightly off topic - handy looking Jack you have their.... not seen one like that before!

Its a 'Transmission Jack', I bought it for the time(s) I remove Transfer Boxes and Gearboxes, its very handy.

I used it when removing the old leaking diesel tank from my 100-Series and for putting the new one back in.

It won't lift heavy loads, but for supporting the lower wishbone while I removed the wreckage after the ball joint failed it was ideal.

Bob.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sealey Transmission Jack, which I have used in similar manner (and picks up the quad bike nicely) but is big and cumbersome....

Anyway back on topic, I would be interested to know the Mileage on 90 series that have definitely had wheel bearing issues??  Anyone??
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 18:15    Post subject: noise Reply with quote

Finally sorted the noise out,It was the auto box oil I thought I had changed it last year but I had not changed it for about 35000 miles Embarassed all better now Very Happy  

Lenny
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51    Post subject: Re: noise Reply with quote

Well, I would have never have thought of that  Confused

Is the Autobox still OK noise usually means wear (or at best, vibration)  Question

Anyway, glad to hear its sorted. That's one more fact to store away for future reference  Laughing .

I have an Autobox on my 100-Series, I changed the ATF twice when I bought it in April but I must change it regularly from now on.

Bob.
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:42    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote

Its like a new car no noise or vibration what come out was brown let that one slip through the net with my maintenance,going to keep a eye on the level just in case Its early radiator failure ;(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: