All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake caliper problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Channel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:38    Post subject: Brake caliper problems Reply with quote

Hullo all,
Having just had the 1995 80 series serviced by a trustworthy garage a couple of problems have emerged.  Both front calipers have a piston siezed one rear has a coorroded piston dust cover off and the other rear has a split dust cover.  How should I proceed, repair all the problems, how easy is that, or buy new and bite the bullet. I notice that Milners have tow types one OEM and another with no price , is there a major difference. Secondly the swivel bearing, offside front have excessive play, is that the same as the trunion bearings. Finally it needs a rubber sleeve fitting kit for the rear calipers whatever that is.  Some advice would be appreciated.  I notice that a new caliper from Milners is around £227

Many Thanks
John

1995 80 series GS 132000
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the callipers with new ones will certainly be the easiest and quickest option but by far the most costly. I guess a lot depends on how long you can afford to have the car off the road but, personally, I'd remove the old callipers, strip them and see how bad the corrosion is. If the pistons can be freed and the parts are serviceable you could get away with a kit of new seals and dust covers. The rubber sleeves for the rear callipers are cheap and easy to fit. The calliper mounting bolts/pins locate in these sleeves and let the calliper move in and out.
The swivel bearings are equivalent to trunnion or king pin bearings. Replacement isn't difficult or particularly expensive if you DIY but it's not a 15 minute job.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Trydeep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Brakes International I got my calliper for Amazon there for around £120
Channel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:08    Post subject: Caliper problems Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I don't need the vehicle for a while so I might try refurbishing.  Is there a guide regarding how to do it, the pitfalls and where to obtain what is required as Milners do not appear to sell the bits required.

Cheers John
Channel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 18:13    Post subject: Caliper problems Reply with quote

Hullo

Regarding new calipers they appear to be difficult to obtain, unless i buy them from Milners at £237.  However there is a company called Wanapart who appear to have them either made by TRW or Remy, anybody any thought on those.  Regarding refurbishing Milners can obtain the necessary for £30.00 per caliper and £10 per piston if required + VAT.

John
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, TBH you are looking for info on how to refurbish your brakes, whilst it 'may' be more economical it might be better (with respect) given your lack of experience to have the garage take off your calliper's and advise if they can be repaired, if yes then give them the kit to do it.

regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Channel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 22:49    Post subject: Calipers Reply with quote

Thanks Dave 2000.  Had them all replaced by the garage. New calipers all round £280 for the front and £160 for the rear plus a complete service.  Now for sale at £8750
80 series GS 133000
Snorkle
OME suspension.
9500 Goodwinch Dyneema rope.
Allisport intercooler.
4 alloys with BFG all terrain hardly used
8 Toyota Steels 4 with Mud Terrain hardly used
Dark Green 6M1 code
CB radio
Speedy sleeves
All lockers operational.
John
Dave 2000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when I hear of people selling their 80's, what do you plan to replace it with?  I respect you dropped some money on it making sure it is safe to sell on, many would not bother if they knew they were getting rid of the car.

regards

Dave

Remember as an individual you are unique........................ just like everyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: