Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Land Rover Discovery Owner SeekingTLC Buying Advice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_debian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:58    Post subject: Land Rover Discovery Owner SeekingTLC Buying Advice Reply with quote

Hi all, first post!

After a couple of classic Land Rovers, I am currently driving a 300Tdi Auto Discovery. You all know the score regarding reliability, rusting, etc, and for this reason, I am dipping my toe in the non-Land Rover 4x4 world, specifically the Land Cruiser. Essentially, I just need some info to start my investigation, perhaps you can help.

The main reason I am looking beyond my third Land Rover, is rust and reliability, especially cold starting (in fact normal starting, too! Yes it's been to the garage several times, without a worthwhile conclusion). From a size perspective, the Discovery suits my other half and I well, with occasionally an additional two passengers. The main occupants are us and the dog (in the boot space), and we have no need of fold down seats in the boot.

My criteria for a replacement vehicle is something of a similar size to the Disco, or perhaps slightly smaller, but I like the size and ride height. The vehicle HAS to be an auto, due to my other half's back problem. The vehicle does not want to be 'posh', because it is used as an everyday vehicle and dog transporter. My criteria is that I must be able to get in and drive the vehicle with wellies/ walking boots on, without worrying about the interior; saying that, I have no requirement for the (dis) comfort levels of a Defender. I'd really like the vehicle to be relatively modern (2000+).

I bought a diesel Disco for reliability and cold starting, neither of which transpired, with my previous 40 year old petrol Landy being more reliable, although thirsty (17mpg). My natural leaning is to get another diesel, but petrol 'isn't off the table'.

So questions:

Can anyone help me identify a model that would be worth looking at, and I'll try to work out the different spec levels (I don't want a full leather interior, but would like a heated windscreen, if poss)

Are there particular model years that have high UK road tax prices?

When travelling home to North Yorkshire, will a (auto) TLC go up and down the hills without thinking about it?

Can TLC be subtly modified, like Landies (raised air intake perhaps), for wading?

Do all models have Hi/ Lo range, and something that will help cope with snow/ ice?

Can the stock stereo/ CD autochanger be removed and replaced, or are they an integral part of the dash, like many modern vehicles?

Do people normally Waxoyle the underneath, or is this already taken care of by Toyota?

Is there a good magazine I can buy in the UK, so I can get a feel for the TLC following, a bit like I can with Land Rover specific magazines.

To finish, I'm not made of money, and will be looking to replace my vehicle in 12 months+

Any help/ advice gratefully received.

Thanks all, for not getting too irritated by my newbie questions (think of me as a future TLC convert). Trawling the internet may help me, but in the Landy world, I always found vehicle specific forums to be the best place for info.

Cheers,

Chris.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

HairyWookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum “Future Owner…”

chris_debian wrote:
I am currently driving a 300Tdi Auto Discovery.

Firstly, ouch. Still, another potential convert is a good thing.

chris_debian wrote:
The main reason I am looking beyond my third Land Rover, is rust and reliability, especially cold starting (in fact normal starting, too! Yes it's been to the garage several times, without a worthwhile conclusion).

Toyotas will pretty much always start; bursting into life even after sitting at bottom of yard after several months. They always just work.  Very Happy

chris_debian wrote:
My criteria for a replacement vehicle is something of a similar size to the Disco, or perhaps slightly smaller, but I like the size and ride height. The vehicle HAS to be an auto, due to my other half's back problem. The vehicle does not want to be 'posh', because it is used as an everyday vehicle and dog transporter. My criteria is that I must be able to get in and drive the vehicle with wellies/ walking boots on, without worrying about the interior; saying that, I have no requirement for the (dis) comfort levels of a Defender. I'd really like the vehicle to be relatively modern (2000+).
Can anyone help me identify a model that would be worth looking at, and I'll try to work out the different spec levels (I don't want a full leather interior, but would like a heated windscreen, if poss)

Are you requiring the truck to tow anything; if so what weight will be towed?
Also, what kind of budget & MPG are you after?
A reasonable condition 90 series Colorado, yr 2000+ with a 3.0L D4D diesel is smaller but cheaper & more efficient than the equivalent 100 series Amazon with a 4.2L TD engine.
They both have their pitfalls, but for the most part are very practical, powerful & reliable machines that will return many years of loyal service, given regular maintenance & decent level of attention to detail.

chris_debian wrote:
Are there particular model years that have high UK road tax prices?

Same as all others; stick to pre 2001 and its taxed on engine size not emissions; failing that, Parkers Guide etc will give you the VED rates.

chris_debian wrote:
When travelling home to North Yorkshire, will a (auto) TLC go up and down the hills without thinking about it?

Can TLC be subtly modified, like Landies (raised air intake perhaps), for wading?

Do all models have Hi/ Lo range, and something that will help cope with snow/ ice?

Can the stock stereo/ CD autochanger be removed and replaced, or are they an integral part of the dash, like many modern vehicles?

Yes to all the above; hills are effortless unless dragging a lot of weight behind them; they are also monstrous in the snow & ice given decent tyres; rarely need centre or rear diff locks; stereo is double DIN, but can be replaced with another double DIN, two singles, or a single & a tray…

chris_debian wrote:
Do people normally Waxoyle the underneath, or is this already taken care of by Toyota?

Personally, I used Waxoyl, Hammerite & Dinitrol underneath mine; then recoat every 12 months just before Winter.

chris_debian wrote:
Is there a good magazine I can buy in the UK, so I can get a feel for the TLC following, a bit like I can with Land Rover specific magazines.

None that I am aware of; shame really. Most Toyota owners, as the cars, just quietly get on with it!
Hope this lot is of some use to you; anything further, just post back again, will be happy to help if I can.

1997 KZJ95 3.0TD GX Manual (Jess)
Weekend Warrior with 18 years of mechanical experience; still learning...
Occasional use on SVO...
chris_debian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just a quick thank you,  as I have just got back to internet access. I'll respond properly, soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chris.
chris_debian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

HairyWookie

Many thanks for your reply, and apologies for taking so long to get back; just got a lot going on.

Good to hear about the reliable sounding engine starting, that is a BIG plus, in my decision making.

With regard to towing, i'm on my third Landy, and I've never towed anything in 8 years; having a tow bar would be an advantage, in case it was needed, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I was looking at a budget of up to £8K, but that would take a long time to save, and £6K would be much preferred. With regard to MPG, my Disco currently does between 25 and 30, and given that vehicles are meant to be improving all the time, 'd prefer to be looking at 30+, ideally.

Quote:
A reasonable condition 90 series Colorado, yr 2000+ with a 3.0L D4D diesel is smaller but cheaper & more efficient than the equivalent 100 series Amazon with a 4.2L TD engine.
They both have their pitfalls, but for the most part are very practical, powerful & reliable machines that will return many years of loyal service, given regular maintenance & decent level of attention to detail.

Thanks for this. I'll have a look at the Colorado. On paper, I would imagine a 3.0 engine would be more than sufficient for my needs (currently have 2.5), but no probs with 4.2, just thinking that smaller would be cheaper to run, potentially less tax?

Quote:
...hills are effortless unless dragging a lot of weight behind them; they are also monstrous in the snow & ice given decent tyres; rarely need centre or rear diff locks; stereo is double DIN, but can be replaced with another double DIN, two singles, or a single & a tray…

Thank you, this again is re-assuring. The stereo thing is just because the technology moves on so quickly, with DAB and Bluetooth being useful (and soon, Android Auto), so just wondered. Just means I can keep the vehicle for longer, if I can upgrade the technology.

Your reply has been really really helpful, and if has opened my eyes to Japanese motoring. I was just driving along today and saw a Freelander 1, a design I've always liked. I had a quick look on-line to see about reliability, and this prompted me to get my finger out and respond to your reply. The road is forking, and I'm heading East.

Time to do some Toyota research, so I may have more questions

Cheers, so far.

Chris.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest a LC3
These are known as the120 series.
3.0L. D4-d
I guess 90% of them are auto, and for good reason.
You can get a 2005 for 7000
They are more advanced than the earlier Colorado, they replaced.
The next size up are the 100 series, nice but just really big.
The 4.2 is a great engine, but a little thirsty, as you would expect from a 6 cylinder.
chris_debian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, sounds good; I'll have a look specifically at that model.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i'm confused. Did the Prado replace the Colorado? Wikipedia seems to suggest this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Prado

Can anyone confirm? This may help when I'm searching Autotrader, etc.

Cheers,

Chris.
andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colorado is the UK version, anything that is badged Prado is an import to the UK.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
chris_debian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

Chris
andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for diff locked rear go for the Colorado, very rare for a Prado to have one fitted.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
chris_debian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, good advice.

Chris.
chris_debian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at a photo f a Colorado engine compartment, it looks like it has two batteries. Is this standard? Why did Land Rover never do this. Can they be charged 'as one', or done individually?

Great idea, Toyota!

Chris.
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's standard, & no they need to be charged individually, it's a 24volt starting system, once started everything is then 12 volt
Why didn't l/rover do it ? who knows
chris_debian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

joinerman wrote:
It's standard, & no they need to be charged individually, it's a 24volt starting system, once started everything is then 12 volt

Thanks, joinerman. Sounds like the starting is potentially more reliable than my Disco.

Cheers,

Chris.
andy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

joinerman wrote:

It's only 24v starting on the 80 series.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: