Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Prado hublock h4 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 20:40    Post subject: Prado hublock h4 problem Reply with quote

Hello,
Last week I bought a old Prado. I have no users manual or something like that. I am a Dutch volunteer teacher in Uganda, but need the car for work.
I have question I hope someone can answer or help.
I have 2 switches next to the steering wheel, one saying H4 and one saying Hublock. When I push hublock, a green light goes on in the dashboard. h4 does nothing. When I push hublock, nothing actually happens, besides the light in the dashboard. I got stuck in some mud, but there was no real locking. What can I do?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 20:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

warthog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:53    Post subject: Hublock Reply with quote

Before giving up, try the following in High ratio:

Press H4 (no light will appear)
Press Hublock (2 green lights will appear)

You should now be in 4WD with locked hubs.

Have someone listen to each front wheel as you select and deselect Hublock - there should be a click as it engages and disengages .

If that doesn't work, you have a problem with the unit inside the hub - there are lots of threads in this forum which cover repair or operation of these units.

When disengaging, press the buttons in the reverse order - hublock first, then H4.

If you have selected low ratio, you don't have to select H4.

Good luck.

P
Arno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I went to a garage yesterday, they said the gearbox is bad, that is why it doesn't go in 4wd. But that seems strange to me since the automatic gears go quite smooth.

There is no click when I listen to the hubs.

When both H4 and hublock are on, only 1 light goes on, that one of hublock. So I don't Know what the problem is...
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two gearboxes.

The main box is, in your case, an automatic. From your comments, this is working OK.

The transfer box is attached to the rear of the auto box. Normally power is transmitted just to the rear axle. When you select 4 wheel drive, power also goes to the front axle. To complete the system, you also need to lock in the front hubs.

The change from rear drive only to front and rear drive is via the switch on the dashboard. This will select 4 wheel drive in high range. If you pull back the second gear lever (only when stationary) you will select low range.

I suggest this.

Prop open the bonnet. Start the engine. Locate the solenoid switches mounted above the brake booster. It will have a bunch of wires and small diameter black rubber hoses going to it. Put your hand onto this unit and operate the 4x4 switch on the dash. You should feel a click as the solenoid operates and lets vacuum from the brake booster into the transfer box to change into 4x4 mode. If you don't feel or hear the solenoid working, you will not have 4 wheel drive. Also check to see that the hoses are undamaged. This vacuum system and the electric hubs are the most likely suspects. The transfer box is bullet proof.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: