Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

tyres on my prado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeroy99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 19:44    Post subject: tyres on my prado Reply with quote

hi just bought the prado after much reading on hear about them,
just wondering if I could fit 285/75/16 bfg m/t tyres to my standard alloy's
& would I have to do any mods?

also what would be the biggest size I could fit with out mods?

very pleased with it so far ha feels great on the road,just wondering when to do timming belt,
change the radiator,& thinking of changing all the fluids in axels aswell as g/box.
is there a auto filter kit or just oil change?
and what oils & grades & how much to use would be helpful thank you lee.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 19:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Re: tyres on my prado Reply with quote

leeroy99 wrote:
just wondering when to do timming belt,
change the radiator,& thinking of changing all the fluids in axels aswell as g/box.
is there a auto filter kit or just oil change?
and what oils & grades & how much to use would be helpful thank you lee.

The timing belt is a straightforward job and isn't expensive. However both pulleys run at half engine speed and the belt has a relatively easy life so the 60,000 mile interval is well within its capabilities. The belt swap has been covered many times here so do a search.

As for the rest, I would buy a manual from the Club Shop (see the top of the page) and then pick the oil viscosity that suits your driving conditions. The Max Ellery Manual isn't wonderful but its better than nothing. Be aware that its Australian and their models may vary from the UK ones.

Its a good idea to change everything when you first get the truck then you know where the baseline is. I assume its an Auto, in which case if its done near 100,000 miles I would change the radiator for a good quality one.

I'm not sure about maximum tyre sizes - I have 265/70-16 on my '95' and 275/70-16 on my '100' (all BFG T/As). Others will be along to answer that one.

Bob.
leeroy99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bob appreciate it,sorry for been ignorant but what is the 95 model?#
im assuming myn is the 90 model its an import on a 96 prado intercooler on top of the engine?

is there a filter to go in the auto/box or just oil?

thank you for all info very happy at the minute Laughing
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeroy99 wrote:
thanks bob appreciate it,sorry for been ignorant but what is the 95 model?

Within the "90-Series" (Colorado in the UK, Prado in rest of world) the '90' is the Short wheelbase and the '95' is the long wheelbase model.

The '100' is the larger 'Amazon' with the independent front suspension (the earlier 'Amazon' with the beam axles is the '80-Series').

I don't have an oil filter on the autobox on my '100', I suspect the '90-Series' autobox doesn't have one either (mine is a manual).

Cheers.

Bob.
leeroy99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you agin bob,

mine is a 95 series then lwb 5 door with the ikz-te engine fitted,im going to change the t/belt,
and do all the oils aswell like you say then you no where you are with it yourself.

ive was looking a long time at different threads to see about the radiator,& noticed some people
saying that radiators from milner off road & also filters wernt very good?
wondering what to do about radiator & antifreeze to put back in?

also when im searching for parts do most of the colarado parts fit my prado?

thank you so much for your help bob only seems to be you talking to me Laughing
just neva owned one before and want to get it right before I start playing.
thanks again lee.
leeroy99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob sorry to bother you again but also reading links saying that the prado is full time 4 wheel drive?

and I was reading something about tires   do I have to fit 4 new ones if one is getting down??
thanks again  :lol:al help
yo are a real help & I appreciate your advice & help lee.
best4x4xfar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the quality of parts from Roughtrax to be better than Milner. Infact I seem to remember buying an oil filter from Milner  and putting it straight in the bin as the quality looked rather poor.
The 285 tyres are too big.
I use 265/75/16 and I can see they have rubbed slightly on the front chassis when at full steering lock and off roading. I do however have my front antiroll bar removed which will worsen the problem.
The standard size is 265/70/16 but a lot of people fit 265/75/16 as i think this is a more common tyre size so price/ availability is perhaps better.

Simon
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, the Landcruisers are full-time four-wheel drive (in the same way as Land Rover Defenders, Discoveries and Range Rovers). They have a main five speed gearbox with a second 'Transfer Box' bolted on behind. The Transfer Box has a two-speed 'High & Low ratio' gear and a centre differential - which can be locked with the Transfer Lever in the cab.

The UK 'Colorado' has an electric rear differential lock in the back axle but your Prado probably has a 'Limited Slip Differential' (LSD) in the back axle. You need to be careful about which oil you put in there - check the manual.

Regarding tyres. I wouldn't say that you should replace them as a set of four unless they are all getting near the limit. It depends on what you have - there is little point having an All-Terrain or Mud-Terrain tyre with only 3mm of tread, even though it is legal  Laughing.

I would always replace both tyres on an axle if they are wearing down and I would keep the best two for the rear and put the new pair on the front. But, when I bought my '100' It had a decent set of road tyres so I acquired a second set of wheels, had them powder coated and put five Goodrich T/A's on them. That was an expensive exercise but I now run the All-Terrains with the road tyres in reserve.

Its very easy to spend money when you first get a new (old) Landcruiser  Wink .

Radiators - I bought one from Milners and it had a hole in it. They replaced it and it has been OK but I don't think the quality is very good. Roughtrax are better in my experience.

One can never tell with Milner, sometimes they supply stuff that looks a bit lightweight and suspect and other times you get genuine Toyota parts. I wouldn't write them off, I've had a lot of stuff from them over the years and they have generally been OK.

I should probably replace the radiator in my '100' as its an Auto with 123,000 miles on the clock. I'll go to Roughtrax for that one.

Anti-Freeze - Use genuine 'Toyota Red' at 50/50 mix. Its not too much more expensive than the cheap stuff and its supposed to give the necessary protection when hot or cold.

There is lots of stuff on this forum but remember, we only hear about the problems, there are lots of owners who are not writing in for advice so don't get downhearted with what you read  Wink.

Good luck with it.

Bob.
leeroy99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

best4x4xfar wrote:
I find the quality of parts from Roughtrax to be better than Milner. Infact I seem to remember buying an oil filter from Milner  and putting it straight in the bin as the quality looked rather poor.
The 285 tyres are too big.
I use 265/75/16 and I can see they have rubbed slightly on the front chassis when at full steering lock and off roading. I do however have my front antiroll bar removed which will worsen the problem.
The standard size is 265/70/16 but a lot of people fit 265/75/16 as i think this is a more common tyre size so price/ availability is perhaps better.

Simon

thanks simon appreciate it Wink  Wink
leeroy99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again bob/simon,

I think I will use roughtrax just to be on the safe side?

I no its such a learning curve and like you say you can spend a fortune on bits & pieces ha.

im goin  to Toyota in the morning get some antifreeze & order the radiator aswell myn has done 130km
so if ive worked it out right it should be about 80k?
but like you say it is worth doing for piece of mind.do you no how much antifreeze I need to have the 50/50
mix bob?

thanks again for help & replys gent lee Laughing
Col 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

You could also try EuroCarParts or GermanSwedish for a rad price - haven't used Roughtrax yet, - many here
recommend them though.

Be interesting to hear Mr T's rad price - probably best be seated when the parts chap tells you Very Happy

The 95 with a rear heater takes 11 litres of red antifreeze, w/out rear heater 10.1 litres.
Rad drain nearside lower front, block drain 1/2 way back on block, nearside also.

Have fun!
Col
leeroy99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks col,

going to get antifreeze from Toyota,& radiator from roughtrax think Toyota one will be a fortune ha ha.

that seems a lot off antifreeze 10 liters ?

thanks for info lee Laughing
Col 7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, large system. It's described as premixed 'coolant' no water to be added and , I understand, is designed to maintains it's properties a lot longer than, say, making up your own mix with branded concentrate.

Mr T's part man did not suggest a change interval - must have been 4 years ago I filled system. Will ask next week when getting my oil filters Very Happy  

Good luck with the rad job.

Cheers

Col
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: