4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Reverse lights constantly on, won't go higher than 2nd gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasparH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51    Post subject: Reverse lights constantly on, won't go higher than 2nd gear Reply with quote

Hello All!

Problem that's driving me crazy.

I have an '03 4.2 TD Auto, here are the symptoms:

* Reverse lights are constantly stuck on, both externally and on the dashboard gear indicator (stay on even when car is switched off and locked. Only go out if I disconnect batteries)

* If I put it in DRIVE, it will only use second gear. I can select L to use first gear and then move up to 2nd gear but it never changes gear of its own accord. Reverse gear works fine.

* It happened after I used Low Ratio for the first time since I have owned the car, so far people have said this is purely coincidental as it can't be related but it just seems like such a coincidence!

I have just fitted a new reverse start switch on the side of the gearbox (£320!!) but this hasn't worked.

My next thought was gearbox ECU?

Any advice is most welcome

thanks!!!

Caspar
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 16:43    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights constantly on, won't go higher than 2nd g Reply with quote

Caspar,

Welcome to the Forum - where those with problems come to share their grief  Laughing.

I have an '01' HDJ100 4.2l 'VX' which I guess will have a similar cockpit layout to yours.

Before we all start guessing, here are a few questions:

1.  Do you have the 4-speed or 'post-facelift' 5-speed auto box (I think '03 was the changeover year) ??

2.  Did the reversing light problem occur before or after you fitted the "Reverse Start Switch" ??

3.  Have you tried going into and out of Low Ratio a few times since you first tried it ??

4.  Have you tried switching off/on/off the "Second Start" button on the centre console ??

5.  Has anyone been working underneath the car - particularly around the Gearbox and/or Transfer Box and their associated wiring ??

6.  Has the car been used for wading in deep water/liquid mud or similar ??

7.  Has anyone 'steam cleaned' the underside recently ??

8.  Do you have trailer sockets fitted (the 7-pin 12S Caravan Socket has a reversing light connection and I suspect the 13-pin Euro-Socket does too) ??

On the '90-Series' the brake lights work with the ignition off, which surprised me. I haven't checked my '100' to see if its the same. I don't know if the Reversing Lights' are similar or whether they need the ignition on (though I suspect they do).

The wiring diagrams in the Max Ellery Manual are not the greatest help so some simple questions may get us to the cause faster than the diagrams.

Lets have a bit more info and then we'll all pile in and try to help  Wink.

Cheers.

Bob.
CasparH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bob

Thank you so much for your reply.

In answer to your questions:

1.  Do you have the 4-speed or 'post-facelift' 5-speed auto box (I think '03 was the changeover year) ??  

Mine is fitted with the 4-speed auto

2.  Did the reversing light problem occur before or after you fitted the "Reverse Start Switch" ??

The problem happened before I fitted the replacement reverse light switch, I fitted the switch as an attempt to fix the problem, when I fitted the replacement switch I disconnected the batteries, fitted the switch, then reconnected them. Reverse lights were still on so tried driving then switching through hi and low a few times on rough terrain.

3.  Have you tried going into and out of Low Ratio a few times since you first tried it ??

I have tried going in and out of hi/low ratio many times and turning the steering from lock to lock and driving over uneven terrain but no luck

4.  Have you tried switching off/on/off the "Second Start" button on the centre console ??

Have only tried second start button once whilst car was running, just on and off but didn't seem to make a difference.

5.  Has anyone been working underneath the car - particularly around the Gearbox and/or Transfer Box and their associated wiring ??

I had the car fully serviced a couple of weeks ago but it has been driving perfectly since. The only thing that could have affected it was when I selected the low ratio to drive up a small slippery bank was when the problem occurred. I first attempted it in hi ratio but the wheels slipped a little so that was when I selected low ratio. It drove up the bank. I then put it back in high ratio and that was when I noticed the reverse lights on and the drive problem. The auto box fluid level is also fine and on the maximum mark.

6.  Has the car been used for wading in deep water/liquid mud or similar ??

No wading or deep water at all, apart from driving up the small bank, just normal road driving.

7.  Has anyone 'steam cleaned' the underside recently ??

Nope, it's pretty filthy under there!!

8.  Do you have trailer sockets fitted (the 7-pin 12S Caravan Socket has a reversing light connection and I suspect the 13-pin Euro-Socket does too) ??

Yep, I have twin electrics fitted although I have only used the single for my trailer. Not sure if they have a reverse light connection. I will check asap.

On the '90-Series' the brake lights work with the ignition off, which surprised me. I haven't checked my '100' to see if its the same. I don't know if the Reversing Lights' are similar or whether they need the ignition on (though I suspect they do).

I'm pretty sure normally the reverse lights on mine won't come on unless the ignition is on.

Again, many thanks for your help and any suggestions you may have!

Caspar
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 14:34    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights constantly on, won't go higher than 2nd g Reply with quote

Well, I spent a couple of hours going through parts diagrams and the rather scant information in the Max Ellery manual.

Nowhere can I find reference to a Reversing Light Switch and there are no part numbers for such a thing on an Auto Gearbox. I therefore assume that the "Neutral Start Switch" does a number of things in communication with the Transmission ECU.

The wiring diagram shows a Reversing Light switch and doesn't mention the ECU. The output side feeds the L/H and R/H reversing lights and also leads to the Trailer Socket.

Power to the Reversing Light Switch comes from a Relay on the output side of the Ignition Switch and this feeds via the 15A Gauge Fuse. So why are the lights constantly lit when the ignition is off ??

The obvious answer is a faulty Ignition Switch or a faulty Relay with fused contacts but as the 15A Gauge Fuse presumably feeds other things as well there would be other manifestations of the problem.

I'm turning my attention to the Trailer Socket . . A standard 'Type 12' socket doesn't have a Reversing Light output - that has to be on the 'Supplementary '12S' Caravan Socket.

The '12S' socket also has a permanent live feed for Internal Lights plus a Caravan Battery connection (though that would normally be fed via a 'split charge' system).

If there is a short somewhere in or around the '12S' socket you could be getting 12V back into the Reversing Light circuit which would light them permanently on the car.

The wiring diagrams are rather selective and only show one circuit at a time - not the whole works. If you are getting 12Volts back into the circuitry it could be causing all sorts of issues - maybe affecting the gear selection as well  Confused.

I would start by examining the Supplementary socket wiring for cuts, chaffing where it passes through body panels and salty crud inside the socket itself. Pins 1 and 4 are the ones to concentrate on.

If all is well with the socket, we'll have to think again  Rolling Eyes.

This is intriguing and I want to know the answer . . Good luck with it.

Bob.
CasparH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bob

Thank you so much for your time and effort so far!

I think you may well be on to something. The secondary 12S socket is located underneath the tow bar and I'm pretty sure it could have been knocked slightly when I drove up the bank as it is very exposed and fitted quite low down.

Will investigate as soon as I get back from work, it would just make sense as to why it happened then!

All fingers and toes are crossed!!
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasparH wrote:
All fingers and toes are crossed!!

Mine too  Exclamation  Exclamation ('cos I'm running out of ideas).

Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

Good luck.

Bob.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its gone very quiet . . . Is there any news  Question  Question

My curiosity is growing  Wink.

Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: