4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Very heavy steering on idle and low rpm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:08    Post subject: Very heavy steering on idle and low rpm Reply with quote

I'm very new to the world of LC80's, but not afraid to get my spanners out, next on the list is the steering, once the engine is up to temp, I'm getting pretty much no power assistance at idle and very low rpm, 600 or so, mainly when trying to park, which makes it a bit of a challenge, slight blip of the throttle and it's back, so far I've checked the level, it seemed ok.

Also plugged it in to my mates trick diagnostic reader, no fault codes present.

Next job at the weekend will be, give it a good clean around the pump and check for any leaks and and air in the system.

I've been reading the workshop manual and I'll be following the trouble shooting flow chart, seems like the solenoid valve on the steering box could be a candidate but no code thrown ?

Any thoughts or previous experiences would be more than welcome

Cheers James
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed the old fluid out & keep topping up with new until new is coming out.
Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a vacuum operated, 'idle up' actuator that opens the throttle slightly when the steering is used and compensates for the load on the engine by the steering pump and prevents the drop in idle speed. Check this is working OK. The air con, if fitted, also has a similar setup to increase the idle speed.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
James72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

joinerman wrote:

Joinerman, Yep definitely a good shout, I'll change the fluid
Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

joinerman wrote:

I bled mine by removing the return hose from the reservoir and feeding it into an empty plastic container. Then got someone to start the engine and as the old fluid got pumped into the plastic bottle I refilled it with new fluid through the reservoir cap but you have to be quick 'cos it pumps round at a fair old rate!. About 15-20 secs was long enough IIRC before stopping the engine.

2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2003 GT XCR3000
James72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towpack wrote:
There is a vacuum operated, 'idle up' actuator that opens the throttle slightly when the steering is used and compensates for the load on the engine by the steering pump and prevents the drop in idle speed. Check this is working OK. The air con, if fitted, also has a similar setup to increase the idle speed.

I have been reading about the idle up, I'm not sure I have it, I just have a single vacuum valve which I assume is for the air con, the manual doesn't say much about it as far as I can see, apart from that it operates when your at full lock when the pump is at full chat and lowers the rpm a bit and it compensates for that by boosting it back up ?
James72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towpack wrote:
joinerman wrote:

I bled mine by removing the return hose from the reservoir and feeding it into an empty plastic container. Then got someone to start the engine and as the old fluid got pumped into the plastic bottle I refilled it with new fluid through the reservoir cap but you have to be quick 'cos it pumps round at a fair old rate!. About 15-20 secs was long enough IIRC before stopping the engine.

Ideal cheers Phil, sounds pretty straight forward.
Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

James72 wrote:
Towpack wrote:

I have been reading about the idle up, I'm not sure I have it, I just have a single vacuum valve which I assume is for the air con, the manual doesn't say much about it as far as I can see, apart from that it operates when your at full lock when the pump is at full chat and lowers the rpm a bit and it compensates for that by boosting it back up ?

The idle up on mine operates virtually as soon as I turn the wheel preventing any drop in idle speed, in fact it actually increases slightly.

2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2003 GT XCR3000
James72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towpack wrote:
James72 wrote:
Towpack wrote:

The idle up on mine operates virtually as soon as I turn the wheel preventing any drop in idle speed, in fact it actually increases slightly.

Ok cheers Phil, if I have it, I don't think it's working as it pretty static.
analogue man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12    Post subject: No power steering at tickover Reply with quote

Hi..... I have the exact same problem on mine. I used a Lucas Oil product and it works fine. It's more like strawberry jam than ATF, Pop it in the reservoir, bleed it , lock to lock a few times and you're away! OK it's more of a bandaid fix than a proper repair but it works. I'm told Toyota do a rebuild kit for the pump for about £40 which I'll do at some point and report back.
James72

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 19:07    Post subject: Re: No power steering at tickover Reply with quote

analogue man wrote:
Hi..... I have the exact same problem on mine. I used a Lucas Oil product and it works fine. It's more like strawberry jam than ATF, Pop it in the reservoir, bleed it , lock to lock a few times and you're away! OK it's more of a bandaid fix than a proper repair but it works. I'm told Toyota do a rebuild kit for the pump for about £40 which I'll do at some point and report back.

I might give that a go as a tempory fix, if new fluid and bleeding doesn't cure it, don't think I'll get a chance until after Crimbo, to gety spanners out now !!!

Ive seen the rebuild kits on e bay from oz, seems like the way forward in the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: