2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacement 20" tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crofthead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 14:56    Post subject: Replacement 20" tyres Reply with quote

Thought I would share my recent experience in choosing alternative tyres for a 2012 Land Cruiser V8 on 20” wheels.

The standard Dunlop Grand Trek 285/50R20 tyre was fine for road use but I suffered several punctures on forestry roads, one of them requiring a replacement tyre.  Another issue I had was mainly concerned with tyre size, the speedo reading was under-recording by as much as 10% when compared to a sat nav.

I was  looking for a robust tyre with a more all terrain bias without sacrificing quietness on tarmac. At the same time I would look at getting a size that would address the speedo issue.
After quite a lot of research and discussion I thought I would go for the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 275/60R20.  This is a light truck tyre with a load/speed rating of 119S (112 mph / 1360 kg).  The Dunlop is a 112V (149 mph / 1120 kg).  I was happy with the speed rating as I don’t exceed 80 mph and the higher load rating will help with heavy towing work.  The greater circumference of the tyre raised the vehicle by 24mm and I calculated it would give an accurate speedo.  There appeared to be ample clearance in the wheel arches even with the suspension on the low setting.

After covering a couple of thousand miles I am quite please with the way things have worked out.  The speedo reading is now accurate and in line with a gps speedo.  The tyres don’t snag the wheel arches.  Noise on motorways at normal motorway speeds is certainly more than the Dunlops but not to a great extent.  The higher profile side wall and increased ride height will probably have an effect on handling but the way I drive I haven’t noticed any change.  My priority was to get a more robust tyre and in this department the Coopers certainly appear to be doing what I wanted with no punctures so far.  I am told they have a good mileage range too.

If any V8 owners out there are in a similar position I hope this helps.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 14:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: