NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Excessive white/grey smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruiser gal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08    Post subject: Excessive white/grey smoke Reply with quote

Hi

Am new to this forum and hope someone could help me out with a landcruiser we working on.

Its a 97 model - 1HDT (80 series landcruiser).  We had excessive black smoke blowing out of the vehicle whilst idling and when driving.  We were told to check the injectors so we had the injectors checked and replaced.  There was still excessive smoke.  We took it back to the agent and was told to check the pump & turbo.  We then had the pump fully serviced and after market turbo fitted...still same problem of excessive black smoke.

The agent then did a compression test on the vehicle and we were informed that compression was low.  Best option was to overhaul or replace the engine.  Unfortunately, it is very expensive and hard to get a replacement 80 series cruiser engine.  So we had the piston rings, valve seals changed.  The cylinder bore and head were checked by the engineering shop and was still good.  

The vehicle runs well, still has power with no loss of oil and no overheating.  However, the smoke is now white/grey, excessive and continuous.  The smoke smells of diesel and if standing close to the exhaust long enough it makes the eyes watery.

Is there any other solution to reduce the excessive smoke?  We love the vehicle and hate to dispose off it after doing so much on it.

Any advise would be wonderful.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

warthog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done so muchserious stuff, but have you given it a clean air filter and checked the fuel filter for water?
P
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the pump needs a bit of fine tuning, a search on here should gleen some info on how to do it, i did mine but it was years back now & memory's not what it was.
Cruiser gal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the replies.

Checked the fuel filter, fuel clean and doesn't have water.  Air cleaner was recently replaced.

My dad & I are working on the vehicle and its a bit of a challenge but I know we can solve it.  I told him to retard the pump coz excessive white/grey smoke means unburnt diesel.  My dad is reluctant in retarding the pump coz he says the vehicle will lose power and could cause other problems.  

My dad & I have different views and being a female, he doesn't think my idea of retarding the pump will work... Sad.....his just old fashion!!!

If the fuel quantity is correct but the pump timing is slightly off, can we retard the pump?  What other problems are we expecting apart from loss of power?

I feel we are so close to solving this smoke issue!!!

Help please.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black or grey smoke is unburnt fuel.

Blue is oil.

White is water.

You can expect white smoke on start up in cold weather. This is condensation and will disappear as the engine warms.

Most old style diesels with mechanical pumps will show some black smoke, especially on acceleration. This is normal.

Diesels are fussy about timing. It should be set to factory standards. A couple of degrees either way and the engine probably wont run. Retarded timing will promote black smoke, poor running and high fuel consumption.

Do you have fuel consumption figures and acceleration times. 50-70 mph in top gear is best.

Roger
Cruiser gal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger

I haven't got the fuel consumption figures but will try it out and let you know.

Thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: