Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LJ73 BRAKE PROBLEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:11    Post subject: LJ73 BRAKE PROBLEM Reply with quote

I have a strange problem, when the car first starts the brakes are fine and you can here the servo working, after about 10 minutes the brakes go very hard. if you brake the vacum to the servo they go back to normal for another 10 minutes or so. It seems to be the same wether the car is driving or stationary as long as the engine is running?

shunter
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 15:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't understand your second sentence.

Roger
shunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger

sorry should be break, what happens if I remove the hose from the vacum pump at the servo now there is no vacum at the servo, I reconnect the hose and the brakes work normally for around another 10 minutes then the pedal goes hard with virtually no braking on the car when the brake pedal is pushed.

shunter
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if the brakes are on continuously due to incorrect setting on the servo push rod. Confirm by driving the car and checking for overheating brake discs and drums.

Roger
shunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger,
the brakes don't appear to be overheating however the the servo push rod does appear to have something to do with the problem. Not having the special tool I used a vernier calliper to measure and adjust, the result was good for a couple of days and then they become hard again. On saturday  I reset the length to what I previously found it and what happens now is that the brakes work OK at low engine RPM but when you drive the car they go hard, when you reduce the RPM they slowly come back to mormal.
Another symptom is when driving if you press the brake pedal with not to great a pressure the brakes are hard but after maybe 4 or 5 seconds of continued light pressing the pedal moves downwards and the brakes work.

thanks
sandy
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing with the pushrod is to adjust so that there is slack. Then test drive and if the symptom occurs, see if the clearance has closed up.

Roger
shunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger,

I am going to try different adjustments to see what has happened, I am back in the UK at the moment and have a complete servo and master cylinder in the garage which I will probaly take back with me.
I will let you know what happens
thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: