4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brakes locking on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim falce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19    Post subject: Brakes locking on. Reply with quote

I've recently had problems with one or more of the brakes locking on, it mainly happens if I put it in reverse. The brake locks and then releases with a clunk which seems to come from the rear. I think I may have two problems, one could be a front piston sticking as there is a squeak from the from as I move off and the other problem I think is the handbrake sticking which is the reversing problem.

I haven't had time to check the rears yet but as I said a front piston is very tight. What can I expect with the handbrake shoes and there seems to be more than one size front calliper available after checking Eurocar parts site. I buy spares from our local motor factors and they quote two prices, one at £60 and the other at £120 per calliper, are there many differences?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mallinguard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

just replaced rear calipers and had big variations in prices. mainly down to exchange deposits. some wanted one, and others didnt. some had sliders, some not. so i would suggest making sure you compare prices for items which are like for like. i got pissed off and gave Roughtrax a ring. they were on my doorstep next day. superb quality and hardly any extra. no brainer.

i have heard of worn shoes becoming seated after actuation, at a strange angle. this has caused them to flip back when reversing causing a locking then load bang after releasing. the guy blamed cheap pattern shoes. replaced with Mr. T variety and now the problem is a distant memory.

not heard of two different calipers on the front though.

hope this helps Tim.

Andy.
tim falce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy, I'll replace one front calliper and check the rears, I think the rear callipers are OK, just the handbrake shoes at fault. It's still on the original rear shoes and a the problem with the car is that I don't use it much so really I shouldn't leave the handbrake on when I park it.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this is far more likely to be the bar/lever that the handbrake pulls that has a pivot behind the little rubber boot on the back of the drum... get some penetrating oil in behind the rubber boot and work the handbrake for a while and they will stop binding....

I think the lever pivot gets corroded and doesn't back off enough when handbrake released
tim falce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
I would say this is far more likely to be the bar/lever that the handbrake pulls that has a pivot behind the little rubber boot on the back of the drum... get some penetrating oil in behind the rubber boot and work the handbrake for a while and they will stop binding....

I think the lever pivot gets corroded and doesn't back off enough when handbrake released
I've just been out and sorted it today, you were correct that the pivot, N/S was seized solid. That along with all four brake pads seized in the callipres plus one of the backing plates had moved and was wedged between a pad and the outer edge of a calliper. All four backing plate have rusted away so as I don't have any spare they've been binned and it's re-assembled without them. Do I need these plates and do they come with new pads?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yeah sounds like it needed a good clean up - the backing plate is really a splash guard more than anything - they are pretty cheap to buy from Toyota...

Out of interest is it a UK vehicle, most have newish back plates (relatively) due to them being replaced following a recall on the rear drive shafts or something (might be worth checking your vin no_)
Col 7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate items from Mr T only, from memory.
Copperslip smear on metal-to-metal surfaces when installing,
save a squeak removal job a few days later Laughing  

HTH

Col
tim falce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Wow yeah sounds like it needed a good clean up - the backing plate is really a splash guard more than anything - they are pretty cheap to buy from Toyota...

Out of interest is it a UK vehicle, most have newish back plates (relatively) due to them being replaced following a recall on the rear drive shafts or something (might be worth checking your vin no_)
It's a UK supplied model, the backing plates look pretty good actually it was seized inside so some WD40 and half an hour moving the leaver back and forth sorted it, thanks for the advice.

Col 7 wrote:
Separate items from Mr T only, from memory.
Copperslip smear on metal-to-metal surfaces when installing,
save a squeak removal job a few days later Laughing  

HTH

Col
My uncle.s garage used to get a lot of trouble with squeaky brakes and our local factors that supply them suggested stopping using coppaslip after which we had no ore problems
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped using copper slip too - BUT I do thin the paint on the edges of the pads as I think the OEM fit is too tight!
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I thought you said the backing plates had rusted away - I realise you meant the anti squeal plates behind the pads... I believe you can get a Kit from Toyota OR Just the pads, if you get the Kit, you get the plates too!

Most Dealers just say no only pads mind... It probably means them making some effort on the Toyota computer which they can't be bothered to do to look up the kit
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a lot of brake pads now have an anti squeal backing on them out the box..
tim falce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did mean the pad backing plates. I fitted new pads and discs about 5 or 6 years ago but have not checked it since which says a lot for regular servicing and checks. Where they've been seized one set of pads is a lot lower than the other side so I may change both sides in a few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: