All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LOW MPG, POWER BUTTON (GEAR BOX) ?????????????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOG

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:43    Post subject: LOW MPG, POWER BUTTON (GEAR BOX) ????????????????? Reply with quote

Hi again.
Still bleeting on about low mpg. Put bottol of deisel cleaner in the other day. No notisable diference.
Did some towing the other day, about 2 tons + first time since i did the timing sencer on the deisel pump, what a difference new truck. Effortlus, walk in the park, real pleasure.
but i did notice that no mater road condition (give or take a bit) truck goes in top gear with over drive on a 50 miles an hour. Any way back home, Remove trailer. Did simerler road trip, truck still gets in top gear at 50 mile an hour. Shocked  Why? when its 2 +tons+trailer lighter. surly it could up shift sooner. did some more testing and sure enought 50 mile per hour is the majic number.
So got this 4.2 auto 100,000mile good nic, full toy servise history truck. only doing 22 mpg (thats not towing or hunting) its sunday afternoon driving.
My conclusion is if it can get in top at 50 with a trailer. It ca get it lazy fat ass in top gear soomer. and save me a few pounds and allow me to join the higher milage club.
Rung toy dealer. Don't now was the answer,but bring it in with your credit card. Theres somthing new.

1  Can a few of you good people let me now what you get mpg and at what speed top gear is reached with over drive on and with power on and off
If you can do the test with the power button (delay shift up) on and off i will know weather mine works. as the light dos'et work and i don't get a different up shift pattern (could be stuk on. sales man removed bulb maybe ?)
2  if you all come back with same figures as me dose anybody know it the upsift timing can be adjusted. Like i said top gear no problem pulling 2.5 tons,theres enought grunt to do it sooner with out trailer.

Please help, love my truck took 18 mounth to find it. just need to squees a bit more mpg, if i can get 25-30 normal driving i will be exstatic. Need those extra few mpg, off to centre park in holand again in summer . recomend cheep good family holiday loads to do kid love it.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

freddie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 to the gallon  when assesing mpg what type of roads were you
useing and was there a lot of stop starting or was it sraight roads
keeping a steady 55-60 mph
to be honest 22 is good for a 4.2 ltr 2500kg brick with a landcruiser what
you lose mpg you gain back on reliability and minimum repairs costs
in our family business we have owned landcruisers for the last 15  years
and when you get 350000miles                                                            out of the same clutch starter motor gearbox alternator  diffs and sell the vehicle to some one who drives it to morroco egypt  and it is still going strong i have seen hj60s with 500000
on the clock that says it all
one of the best ways to get the best mpg is to drive on the rev counter
never let it go above 2000rpm and then see what it returns
when you go to holland remmember to fill up in belgium cheaper euro diesel
HOG

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:21    Post subject: mpg Reply with quote

thanks. can't fault it realy
but just curios. had a few yanks 20-25 per gal adjusted vacume on gear box, to get a earlyer up shift. massive result 25-35. chevy surburbal 350 turbo trams 3 speed in top at 15 -17 miles per hour with trailer pulled well 30,000 miles later not a problem. best 42 gal un laiden sundy afternoon driving. good mate called me f***in lieer untill he borrowed it for weekend. ended up eating humble pie, and it was a large helping.

thanks again. just put one on about mirrors
Chrisk942

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:37    Post subject: mpg Reply with quote

Hi, I get 22/23mpg round town much better on a long run, did a 500 mile round trip to Hull last week and by being careful with my speed and sticking cruise on at around 75 managed @28/29mpg.  Thats not bad for a big truck !  Nothing scientific in my measurements just going off what the trip meter says so dont know how accurate thats going to be
HOG

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:14    Post subject: LOW MPG Reply with quote

Cheers. could you please tell me at what speed top gear comes in with steady throtal. Mine come in at 50 and drops out again at 45-47 mile an hour. This is with over drive on. I have a gut feeling that the up shifts are a bit late. joinermans comes in at 38, hell af a differance. This could explain why i get 22 at best, whith out trailer.

If you or any one else knows could you please tell me?
on a auto there is a power button on centre console, this affect the up shite timing of the gear box.
when i press the button there is no light on the dash to indicate it active.
IM wondering dose it go the fail safe ie, NO power or fault it reverts to late upshift. this could explain ony going into top gear at 50 mile an hour.

dose any one know where to start looking for a fuse before i rip dash aparp to check bulb. checked owners manual could'nt see one.
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will not be a fuse in- line as the bulb is encorporated into the printed curcuit of the dash it's a bulb thats gone in your case and the light is a green ECT light  / OVERDRIVE is orange light .. but that is just the colour on the dash not the bulb they are plain tiny bulbs without a cap and fit into a slot in the holder  they are a pig to get to as all the dash has to come out and the bulb and holders have to be purchased from toyota as the holders are a special size (wouldn't you know )
the steering wheel has to come off too with the airbag  ... so  .. disconnect the battery and wait for 90 seconds before removing the airbag electrical connections
hope this helps

P.S.
how do i adjust the vaccum on my autobox to get it into top gear quicker as you did .. ??  or shall i look in the haynes manual???

THANKS FOR A REPLY ANYONE !!
HOG

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi the gear box that i adjusted was on chevy 85 surburban and was a 350 turbo. Very simple in operation and workings. i stumbled across a the adjustment simply by chance. I left think from memory i had a small split in the pipe after i had rebuilt the box. Near a jobby watsit connected to inlet manifold. I now it was adjustable. Sorry only have limited memory space, its a man thing.
As for toyota it seems that every thing controls the gear box.

I think i got it wrong upshift from 3-4 is so smoth i mist it, and took covertor lock up at 50 to be the change from 3-4. Bit of a hommer moment i think.
Had a good look at fuses  for power button all seem to be ok.

Dont want to take dash out if i can help it. Still need help on this one
ditch dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your powerbutton is permanantly on, making the gearbox hold the gears longer, when the pwr is off the box should change into top at 40mph, unloaded on a light throttle and a flat road. As soon as you load up or tow a decent weight the change up point increases slightly, but once in top the box should lock and try to resist down changes unless you kick-down or load the engine considerably, once fixed you'll notice that the change to top can be more abrupt and you need to back off the throttle slightly in time with the changeup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: