All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear difflock actuator - new/2nd hand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:39    Post subject: Rear difflock actuator - new/2nd hand? Reply with quote

Next on my list really ought to be a new actuator (just so I can show off to the Landrover drivers on the rocky stuff lol!).

Obviously my old one is kaput (aren't they all?).  My question is, is it even worth considering a second hand one?  The scrap dealer will guarantee it's working and - correct me if I'm wrong - I ought to be able to test it simply by plugging it into the connector before even considering tackling the terrifying task of removing the old one.

Having got a working second hand one could I prevent it deteriorating by treating any rust and painting the rear of it as is suggested elsewhere on this forum?  Presumably if it's working it will carry on working if i keep the rust at bay?  Am I being hopelessly naive Question

New ones are £450 from Milners, whereas second hand can be had for £200.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 22:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:44    Post subject: Re: Rear difflock actuator - new/2nd hand? Reply with quote

These things dissolve in road salt so anything you can do to protect them will be worthwhile. My '100' came from Yorkshire and the underside is a disaster thanks to the salt.

I would be very suspicious of a second hand unit and would want to inspect it very carefully. I have seen the casings split and then found it full of road grit and sand.

It can be tested by plugging it into the harness before its fitted so give it a good test. You may need to change the detector switch as well as they corrode away too (good luck with getting that out, I think it needs a long 27mm socket + heat, oil, power bar, swear words . . .  from failing memory  Wink).

The old one can be smashed-up but will leave the 'nose' with the gear wheel seized in the front of the diff. I use a 19mm tube cutter to cut around it without marking the diff casting. Once you reach the rubber sealing ring it should pull out intact. Don't batter it or force it as the gear wheel can fall off the end into the diff  Rolling Eyes .

There are lots of threads on this site, read-up about it and depress yourself  Laughing.

Bob.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bob,

Yes I've seen the various posts describing the getting-out of the old actuator, including your hole saw trick.  It's not so much depressing as scary!

I guess if I'm going to go to all that trouble I should use a new part but, blimey, it's a cost.  At least my labour is free.  If I go down the second-hand route I will test thoroughly and visually inspect as you suggest.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick but important question: if I buy second-hand is it possible to bench strip the actuator to check the condition of the internals before fitting?
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggerdave wrote:
A quick but important question: if I buy second-hand is it possible to bench strip the actuator to check the condition of the internals before fitting?

If you can get the case screws out intact, then yes. The screws are often rusted away though.

There is a large nylon gear that is driven by a worm gear on the motor. The gear has contact plates that are wiped by the long sprung contacts. This limits the travel and provides the means to reverse the motor.

There is grease in the gear case and it might be worth cleaning the old stuff out and replacing it with new.

Bob.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, food for thought!
Andysparks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced mine and got it brand new delivered for £380 from KS International. It's the genuine part and couldn't fault their service. I replaced the switch that indicated the diff lock is on too, Toyota wanted nearly £80 quid for one but it's exactly the same switch that's used for the reverse light on cruisers and other toyota models. I checked this by comparing OEM part numbers on a toyota database. You can get one for under £20 at Milners.
Hope this helps
Andy
poze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I've disassembled mine and only problem that I see are stator magnets which lost adhesive and were out of their original position. Does anyone know of some tutorial or something that might help me assemble them in right order / positions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: