Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Busted bearing in transfer box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentland_Cruiser wrote:
but the Bob way will be far better! Cheers  Smile

"The Bob Way" requires a Hot glue Gun  Laughing   Laughing.

The parts have arrived (The Eagell has landed  Cool).

Bob.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 14:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started today by crawling underneath to inspect the oil seal in the Extension Housing on the rear of the Autobox . . .

It had obviously been leaking.

I cleaned it up and couldn't see any damage anywhere so pulled it out to reveal the bearing that supports the Transfer Box Input Shaft - it looked fine.

The new seal pressed in easily with a smear of Blue Hylomar around the outside to seal it.

Then the trouble started  Rolling Eyes . I have a Transmission Jack but the car is too low to wheel the jack underneath with the Transfer Box on top. The roof rails are only 10" from the main RSJ so I can't jack the truck any higher.

I had to crawl underneath with the box and then try to get it onto the jack while lying on my back  Shocked I managed it eventually but I'll have bruises  Exclamation.

The box is an awkward shape so has to be propped on wood blocks before being lifted - and there isn't much room even with the Cross Member removed. An hour or so later after a lot of fiddling I had the Input Shaft into the bearing and could support the rear while the main body was rotated to align the two locating pins.

With it propped on the jack it was easy enough to get six of the eight bolts done up. The last two (on top) took another hour plus and entailed lowering the whole assembly to get some finger room.

I don't want another one of these for a while . . . So guess what happened next ?? I received a PM from a member who lives a mile from me and whose Transfer Box seems to be bust  Mad .

Eventually all the bolts were tight and all the wiring had been re-connected (I sprayed all the plugs & sockets with Servisol Electrical Contact Cleaner & lubricant). Time to fill it with oil.

I got fed-up with squeezing half-litre bottles of EP80W90 into gearboxes and axles so bought a fancy oil pump. It holds 3 litres and is pumped by hand - not pressurised. Easy  Razz I wish I'd bought this years ago (there would be fewer oil stains on the ground  Laughing ).

A quick check shows that the Selectors are in the right place ready for tomorrow's jobs.

Tomorrow I have to re-assemble the Gear Levers and interior trim. Then I'll run the truck in gear (without propshafts) for half an hour or so to loosen-up all the parts that are still stiff' then I'll drain the oil and refill.

Fit the Cross Member and both propshafts and look at the loose front wing trim (I now have a load of Trim Clips  Wink ).

Maybe I'll get to drive it tomorrow  Cool.

Bob.
Pentland_Cruiser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Herculean effort under the car Bob!  notworthy   Sorry it's been such a pain... the pm from the guy with the other transfer box is what happens when you're too good at something! (it always pays to break something when you're doing the washing-up for example! Very Happy  )  Hope it goes well today
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's first task was to re-assemble the Gear Selectors and replace the interior trim.

I didn't take many photos as I photographed it all coming apart. I took the opportunity to give the plastic bits a good wash and everything went together as intended.

The next job was to start the car and let it run in gear for a while before fitting the propshafts. I had wondered why the door locks didn't unlock with the key then found there wasn't a glimmer of life in the batteries  Rolling Eyes.

That was soon sorted  Wink.

With the engine running I put it in 'Drive' and shifted the Transfer Box into 'HL' - I was expecting to hear a rumble from underneath, but there was no sound.

I looked underneath and found everything happily spinning quietly  Cool.

I had hoped that the speedometer would show some life - but it didn't  Crying or Very sad, I'll have a look at the fuses tomorrow.

I left it running while I got on with sorting the loose wheel arch trim.

Investigation showed the remnants of plastic clips - and glue:

The clips were removed and my Hot Glue gun set to 'stun'.

With the trim unbolted from the front (and supported on a piece of plank) it didn't take long to repair all the broken mouldings and glue-in the new clips.

Pop it all back together, add the front bolt and the job's a good-un  Laughing .

While poking around under the bonnet I noticed that the washer bottle was empty - so I tipped five litres of ready-mix screen wash in. Then I thought "maybe there's a reason for it being empty . . . . . . "

There was (and still is)  Rolling Eyes.

The O/S headlamp washer has come loose and one of the plastic pipes has been rubbing the front wheel - there is a small hole  Mad .

Right now, it is dripping into a basin in the garage. Tomorrow I'll see if I can remove the damaged bit, dry it off and glue it.

I ran the engine, with the drive in gear, for an hour, then drained the Transfer Box. As I suspected, a lot of rust and dirt has worked its way out of the chain.

It is now full of clean oil, which will hopefully stay clean for a lot longer, I think it should be changed again after (say) 1,000 miles, or sooner.

The propshafts are on, the cross-member is back and I have been driving it about. The batteries are on charge overnight but I suspect it needs a new pair. The whole thing needs a good clean (and a respray), it looks a bit tatty but basically its in good condition and just needs some TLC.

Its ready for collection, Mike  Wink .

Bob
Col 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant job, owner is going to be a very happy chap!

Refilling the box - can you advise on a source for the 'supplied by Shell' hand pump please.

I've used an airline via a strong plastic bottle (lab grade) while it shifts lighter grades of warmed fluid fairly readily, can and does bulge alarmingly before getting the EP stuff flowing. Prefer not to be sprayed if it popped Surprised
Thanks

Col
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Col,

The pump does make the job a lot easier.

I bought it from "Smith & Allan" who advertise on e-Bay, here:

http://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Safe-Utility-Pump-C-W-Utility-Lid-Storage-Drum-3-Litre-US-Quart-/371199510584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566d370838

Its not cheap, but it is very well made (and isn't pressurised  Laughing ).

Bob.
Col 7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob
bookmarked, one of those will do nicely for later this year.
Regards

Col
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive chain in the Toyota Transfer Box is a Borg-Warner HY-VO chain, which os quite different from the roller chains found on motorcycles & pushbikes.

Have a look here:

http://www.car-engineer.com/hy-vo-chain-drives-transfer-cases-toyota-lexus/

And if you think that everything in the garden is rosy when using a chain . . . Have a read of an Aircraft Engineer's view  Shocked.

http://www.epi-eng.com/propeller_reduction_technology/chain_drive_issues.htm

Bob.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, nice one! Your definitely PRO at this stuff!
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. you could have given it a polish too! ;@)
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing    Laughing .

I gave it a wash, vacuumed it out and fixed the leaking windscreen washer bottle - remember its a Farm Truck  Wink.

Its due to be collected this pm - then I can have my garage back  Very Happy.

Bob.
mks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
What an amazing article. I have consumed too much time reading it instead of doing other stuff round the house, the wife won't be happy but I now consider myself educated in terms of the internal workings of our transfer boxes and how to rebuild them. I've been considering changing the oil in mine for some time, I hope it doesn't look like what you found !!

The articles on hyvo chains were also very interesting, particularly the aircraft one, makes you wonder why any of our cars get past the first week of use without the chain disintegrating. But as long as the design criteria is correct I guess we are ok and since these trucks do stellar mileage I guess they got it right. I don't recall any cases of chain failure.

If I every have to do a rebuild, I'll be coming here rather than to the manual for advice, but having seen the care and attention you have put into this I think I would be sending you a PM

Once again a masterpiece and thanks for educating us all
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great thread, should be made a sticky or organised up and put in a How To Guide section for future reference. Fair play for undertaking all that work, getting the transfer box bolted back in sounded like a lot of fun. Good work there lad, I enjoy reading threads like this with such good pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: