Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Painted intercooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LC_NAM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 21:47    Post subject: Painted intercooler Reply with quote

Does anyone know why an intercooler would be painted and if this is likely to cause a problem?

The reason being is that I've just noticed that mine has been painted silver - I'm not sure if the garage or previous owner had done and can't think why they would have done. It looks nice and fresh, in fact at first I thought that it was a new one!

Just wondered if it was a previous fastidious owner or someone trying to hide something sinister perhaps?

FYI - it's a 2006 LC120 3.0 Diesel Invincible if it makes any difference.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 21:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

LC_NAM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioned this to the garage whilst it was in for something else (not the garage where I bought it) and they said that they are normally black. Some people occasionally paint them to make them look smarter and painting it wouldn't really be able to hide anything sinister.

...... so fingers crossed it all is ok with it!
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it done to prevent corrosion...  

Or should I say - hide corrosion
LC_NAM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did wonder about that...... anything you know of that I should look out for. What would the effects be of a corroded intercooler, anything obvious?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inlet Air Temp up, so potentially less charge pressure - but reality is probably no difference whatsoever...!  Most state the Intercooler is more of an Inter Warmer anyway!

Just double check for no signs of the intercooler blowing anywhere, and straighten all the fins out if you can be bothered, most I see have lots of bent fins anyway!
LC_NAM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read that it's not the best of locations for an inter-cooler!! Confused

How would I go about checking for signs of blowing? - would I be able to feel air coming out when the throttle is pressed or just at idle speed?

Thanks for the advice.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually hear if they are blowing! I've not seen many - usually only blow where damaged, but you can usually see signs of it...  

Probably best thing would be to whip it off and pressure test it - you might even be able to just hold your hand on one end and blow in the other Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: