Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Horse trailer help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barmy76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 19:26    Post subject: Horse trailer help Reply with quote

I am sure this has been asked before but I havent found the info I need so I am asking again.

I have just bought a 3 horse trailer that weighs 1.2T and I own a colorado with a towing limit of 2.8T
My horses weigh 1.3T in total so trailer and horses total 2.5T in weight.

My friend just told me that I have to include the weight of the people and equipment in the car as well, something to do with kerb weight???

Can anyone confirm whether I am legal with the info I have provided and if not explain why.

Thanks in advance from a now very confused horsey mum.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 19:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trailer weight comes within the 2.8 tonne limit so no problem there.

You then have to consider the all-up weight of the Land Cruiser itself; according to the owner's manual you must not exceed the gross vehicle mass of 2680 Kg (5-door) or 2510 Kg (3-door) by more than 100 Kg. The car weighs 1890 Kg empty so you can load roughly 700 Kg of passengers, luggage and add towing hitch/drawbar weight to that without problems.

Maximum drawbar weight is listed at 130 Kg and is the amount of weight the trailer puts on your tow hitch, it's important to get this right and probably worth buying a scale from a caravan shop to check it.

Reducing the trailer weight from the maximum doesn't allow you to add any more weight to the towing vehicle, it has its own limits.

Hope this makes some sense!
barmy76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that reply, I dont understand the drawbar bit. is that the weight exerted on the tow ball by the trailer?
modvrs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the weight put on the towball by the trailer. It counts towards the max weight of the towcar.

To much weight will put strain on the car and give it a nose-up attitude and light steering. Too little can lead to the trailer "snaking", which is really scary.
barmy76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so how do I measure it, I assume it will need to be done with the horses on board so we can see what is the best configuration of horses.
modvrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a purpose made tool from caravan shops like this:

http://www.towsure.com/kampa-noseweight-indicator-gauge

or improvise with a piece of wood and bathroom scales; I wouldn't recommend this if you have expensive scales with a glass platform though.

You probably don't have much option to transfer the weight around with a horsebox, so will need to rely on the manufacturer having got it right. If it is very light at the front you may be able to add ballast forward of the axle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: