Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

sill drains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:51    Post subject: sill drains Reply with quote

I just did a quick search and couldn't find this mentioned, sorry if this is common knowledge. I've just been patching the sills on my Colorado ('97), and found that most of the corrosion was around the drain slots in the sills, these are the small, rectangular openings where the inner and outer sills meet.  On mine these were blocked with mud etc., I don't think the previous owner had ever checked them. As the sunroof drains go into the sills (odd idea), these are the only exit points for any water that gets in there. They are easily cleared with a cable tie or similar. Might be worth checking.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check on mine, but I don't recall anything similar to your slots.  Instead there are three (? I think) circular holes covered by plastic grilles a bit smaller than a 5p piece.  THey definitely drain the sills as I tried the old trick of filling the sills with melted waxoyl through the holes where the tread plates clip in, only for it all to run out onto my drive!

Mine's a 1997 swb GS without arch extensions: I guess different models may have different arrangements.

Does the sunroof really drain into the sills?  That's bonkers!  Mine's never worked anyway so I've never had the chance to see what lies beneath it.
flint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's different on a SWB (mines a 95). After posting this, I did find that it has indeed been mentioned before, looks like it's the same on an 80. As a newbie, I can't post links yet, but if you put "sill drainage slots landcruiser" in google it's listed there under "water sloshing in the sills".  There are pics and links on rerouting the front drains. As your waxoyl ended up where it did, maybe yours are clear anyway !
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flint, I followed up your advice.  There are indeed the rectangular holes on my sills, as well as the round holes covered with perforated plastic covers (of which there are 5 - I assume they are to allow the sills to 'breathe' and make draining through the rectangular slots easier).

Most of my slots were gunked up with rust and dirt so I gave them a good clean out with a drill bit and squirted lots of WD40 up them after giving the sills a chance to drain/dry out.  Nothing obvious came out of the holes so I guess they had been partially functional at least.

Thanks for the tip!   Very Happy

Another thing to check regularly as our vehicles pass into old age, along with the drain holes at the back of the upper control arm mountings on the rear axle...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: