Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Land Cruiser LJ77 engine conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29    Post subject: Land Cruiser LJ77 engine conversion Reply with quote

Hi everyone!!!

I'm new to this forum as I just become o owner of a legendary LC 70 series, a LJ77 2.4 auto.
I drove only Isuzus until now.

The reason of my post is to get some advice from you, as a lot of you  who know everything and own this lovely cars for years.
As I'm driving my LC empty on highway, it's ok until I get to a hill when I fill that the cruiser is underpowered, wich is not a surprise from a 90bhp engine. I'm not make any coments about my 3.5t trailer.

The question is;
What should I do to increase power?
Should I fit a bigger turbo and front full size intercooler, or wil be beter to do a engine conversion.
I've got a 300td merc on the back yard with 3.0 om606 engine, and they known as a powerful and bulletproof engines.
I'm just wondering if the gearbox will work with that engine and will be strong enough as the engine generate a 177bhp and around 500of torque.
Should I change the gearbox to, maybe a mercedes 6 speed manual???

I just want a powerful engine to pull my 3.5t trailer easier and to do a job once and a good job, no matter how long will take to do it

Any advice will be helpful, any ideas

Thank you in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest conversion would be to find, a 3 litre 4 pot lump (not D4D) as fitted to 70 series sold here from 93 to 96 and to first 90 series Collies up to 2000...obviously if you can find a 70 series with that engine you'll have all the parts necessary for fitting the lump such as mountings (depending on how bad the accident damage is), don't know if your gearbox will be a straight fit but the whole job will be a damn sight easier than trying to make a Merc engine compatible.

The 3 litre in 70 series was rated at a seemngly low 123 bhp, but in practice this engine has a serious amount of grunt with stump pulling power that would embarrass many engines with higher BHP figures, you try and stall one.
marin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,
I'm happy to put a 3.0 (1KZ I think) if they strong enough, and I've seen everywhere that 2.4 had a head problems to.
It's the 3.0 a really bulletproof engine or has some issues like many another engines.
--Can anyone tell me if this will be a direct swap, wire harness, gearbox and anything else or will need modified.
--Can I use one of Hilux/Surf as I see they're more affordable to buy than a land cruiser
Mr E

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0 1KZ is a fantastic 4x4 engine, as you said, you can find them in HiLux Surf/fourRunner, the later has a mechanical pump. If your concerned with the electrics of the EFi version, fear not as you can just swap the EFi pump with a mechanical one from a 2.8 Mitsubishi which will bolt strait on.
If your up for some real power, I have swapped the 2.4 out of my LJ70 for the Lexus 4Ltr V8  Twisted Evil

Mark....
marin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mark,
V8 engine will be too much and to sofistcated job for me.
I'm more than happy to stick with 1KZ if they are really strong and powerful as people say.
I just need to know exactly which donor should I buy from salvage auctions,
 Will be a LC 90 with 1KZ engine the same engine?
 My gearbox will mate the engine, I have a import 2.4 EFI as a say early.
 Can my wire harness plug in to EFI 1KZ
 Will be a 1KZ from Hiace good for it , ref to bottom end?

All info will be handy.
Thanks everyone
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to put a dampener on this but whatever engine you retro fit, the towing limit will still be 2 tonnes. If you need to tow 3.5 tonnes, I would suggest a diesel 80 series.

Roger
marin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Roger, before I had an Isuzu Trooper and the towing capacity were 3.5t, and I know LC80 will tow 3.5t too.
So what is the towing capacity on 70 series? Only 2t?

Anyway, I'm planning to cut the corners and buy a KZJ78 and don't mess about with a conversion, I think will be cheaper and all original.
As rear E lockers a very rear on this vehicles I have in mind to swap the rear axle from my current LJ to a KZJ I'm planning to buy.
Can anyone tell me if they are the same ratios and wich axle are better on highway, LJ or KZJ as I do a lot of miles on highway
I'm ready to give up to E locker if a KZJ axles are faster  

Thank you
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KZJ78 was not a Toyota GB import so all models in this country are grey imports. This means that it was never evaluated for towing ability in this country, which means that there is no official towing limit! The engine is the same as the KZJ 70 with electronic fuel injection. I believe that they are auto boxes.

The towing limit on the LJ was 2 tonnes and this was not changed for the KZJ70.This was a little strange as it is the equal of the LR Defender 90.

The axle ratios with the 3 litre engine were raised and you need to stick with this for quieter driving and better fuel economy. The only reason you would need to consider changing the axles for the lower geared LJ would be to reduce strain on the transmission when towing your maximum loads. Also the rear diff on the 78 is a heavier duty model and you would have rear disc brakes.

If you do decide to change though, I would consider buying the rear axle off the 78.

Roger
marin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Roger,

I thought the towing limits and all another limits are decided by manufacturers, but this is another conversation.
I found a KZJ78 very rusty been parked for God knows how many years, with good 1KZ-TE engine and drive train.
I have in mind to buy it as it will be just half a dozen of pounds or a bit more and swap engine and drivetrain to my LJ, instal a front mounted intercooler and I think this should be a good piece of kit for me.
Of course I have to change wire harness and speedo I think as is 1KZT-E version. But I'll have all the bits I need from donor vehicle.
I just need someone to tell me do it or don't, as I never drove a KZJ78 an don't know how powerful this engines are in comparation with 2LT engine.

Roger???

Thank you
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the limits are set by Toyota GB for use in this country but as they were very conservative they opted for the very low figure of 2 tonnes. This figure was not raised for the KZJ 70.

As regards power figures, performance figures are more important.

LJ 70--- 0-60 in 23.5 seconds. 50-70 mph in top gear 32.1 seconds.

KZJ 70--  "        12.8    "             "      "         "     "    13.3     "

nuff said.

Roger
marin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Roger,

OMG That's very significant difference, if you can compare them.
You just made my day, I can't wait to do this conversion.
 Regarding towing, can do two trips, if necessary.

Thanks again Roger for your really helpful advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: