Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LJ71 diff noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keefypit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:14    Post subject: LJ71 diff noise Reply with quote

Awful sound coming from the front nearside, although difficult to tell. Hubs unlocked, vehicle gets to 30 mph or more, within a short space of time terrible loud graunching from the wheels or diff, I think the four wheel drive is attempting to engage as after stopping, locking the hubs and engaging four wheel drive, the noise does not recur. Any one had this problem, and , if it persists, what is the easiest way of manually disengaging the 4/4 drive so it can be driven in two wheel mode..not sure how the transfer box engages, vacuum? hydraughlic/electric??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 71 has the same system as the 70 so the system works as follows.

The T-box is part time 4 wheel drive. On a sealed surface drive is to the rear axle only. You select 4 wheel drive by pushing in a button on the dash. This electrically operates an air valve that operates a vacuum diaphragm that engages dog gears in the box to send power to the front axle. The small gear lever selects high range, lever forward or low range, lever back. In low range, 4 wheel drive is automatically selected. Do not attempt to engage 4 wheel drive if the hubs are not engaged.

Sounds as if you need to check each section of the system.

Roger
keefypit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 15:18    Post subject: diff noise Reply with quote

Thanks Roger, the problem I have is that when the vehicle went in for new calipers and discs, it came back, four months ago, seemingly ok. I engaged the 4/4 system a few times in that period, but one day realised it was only on the rears. The vehicle now will only run without screeching if I engage the hubs and 4x4, so I removed the hubs, (electric) to find that the hubs had been assembled WITHOUT the dog which engages the spline and hub creating the lock. Went back to garage who worked on the vehicle...impossible they said, so where are the dogs ask I...we dissemble to prove the point. Seems the guy that did the job has got cancer, is not coming back to work. I printed off a pic of the dog for them to show him yesterday and am still awaiting their remarks.....if I disengage by depressing both the hub lock and 4x4 buttons, the vehicle gets to approx 30 mph creates and shudders, so I think I can assume something is well *beep* up !!
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person I trust to work on my TLC is me.

I fully appreciate that for most people, servicing or repairs to their motors has to be entrusted to a garage and usually a local one that may or may not have knowledge on that particular vehicle. Due to the time frame it is unlikely that your garage will agree to fix your problem but there is no harm is trying. In the meantime you could ask on the forum for any reliable garages in your area.

I am still of the opinion that you need to go through the whole system to isolate and fix any problems.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: