Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

help advise on how to change a rear diff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjonesuk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:31    Post subject: help advise on how to change a rear diff Reply with quote

Hi guys
I have a worn soon to collapse pinion bearing
And need to change the rear diff asap
I think I have found a replacement
But i have read some real horror story's on removing
The diff lock Sad
Can anybody give me a step by step on how to remove  said diff & lock
Pics would help
Or better still in exchange of the folding stuff do the job with me Smile
Im in Birmingham but can travel
Thanks
Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BIG problem with removing the locking actuators is corrosion. Lock the rear diff with the actuator before removing it, assuming it's working of course. Remove the 2 nuts, 1 bolt and remove the actuator protector plate. After removing the wiring connectors, tube and the indicator switch, remove the 3 nuts and the indicator switch mounting plate, then remove the shift fork shaft bolt now exposed. Remove the 4 bolts left holding the actuator mechanism to the diff housing and CAREFULLY pry off the actuator. This sounds easy and if you're lucky it will be but probably wont be due to seized bolts etc. Gently does it with all the fasteners. Don't be tempted to use even a soft faced mallet on the actuator housing. The  alloy the housing is made from succumbs readily to salt water attack and can crumble into pieces if corrosion is bad enough and too much force is used. Water ingress and subsequent corrosion seems to be the number 1 killer of the actuators. JMO

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
markjonesuk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if a cannot lock the diff ??
Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it just makes refitting the actuator a bit trickier lining up the locking mechanism.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: