Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

'54 plate rear AHC shocks - what a son of a preacherman to get at.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 0:52    Post subject: '54 plate rear AHC shocks - what a son of a preacherman to get at. Reply with quote

I'm changing the AHC shocks on my '54 plate Amazon as they're very badly corroded as well as the springs.
The tops of the shocks are very difficult to access though just about possible. Does anyone know the actual procedure for getting them off? I can't see exactly how the pipework and the top mounting attaches to the shock and would like an idea of what I'm up against before I apply too much pressure to what are already weakened and badly corroded parts.
Also, the pipes that go to the top of the shock are very rusty, can you get pattern parts or are they exclusive to Mr T?
Cheers, Steve.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 0:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 13:03    Post subject: Re: '54 plate rear AHC shocks - what a son of a preacherman Reply with quote

SteveM wrote:
I can't see exactly how the pipework and the top mounting attaches to the shock and would like an idea of what I'm up against before I apply too much pressure to what are already weakened and badly corroded parts.

Steve,

Have a look at the diagrams below.

The top shock mounting incorporates a 'butterfly bracket' to which the AHC hose connects via two 8mm bolts. The 'Shock' is actually a 'Hydraulic Ram' with only a plunger inside - the top tube is hollow.

I have only seen the AHC hoses come from Mr T, but there are import companies that offer a discount on the parts (can take a while to arrive though).

The name of the Co. escapes me at the moment but I'll have a dig around and post a link if I find it.

I have replaced the front rams on my '100' and you are right - its a 'B' of a job getting at stuff. Far easier if one removes the body first  Laughing.

Bob.
SteveM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob that's really helpful.
Luckily I've got access to a 2 post lift which is making things easier, but the top of the rear shocks are still a son of a preacherman to reach.
I'm sure something will shear off too when I start heaving on it - we'll soon see!!
I'm cleaning and wire brushing the entire underneath of the back of the car ready for a load of waxoyl and shutz undersealer - a dirty nasty job.

Here are a few pics of the work in progress, thanks again Bob.

tim.mock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 17:17    Post subject: AHC pipe connections Reply with quote

Steve
I am today trying to replace the O/S/R AHC pressure pipe to the rear shocker due to a corrosion burst and read your post with interest. I have so far managed to release the pressure supply pipe fitting from the gizmo that has the sphere on it attached to the chassis. I cut the pipe and got a socket on it, bloody tight to undo but progress made, then it rained again. I am trying to figure out the connection to the top of the shocker same as you are. It seems to be a flange fitting with two 12mm headed machine screws on the side of shocker at the top. I am going to drop the spare wheel tomorrow and get my head up there for an attempt. Was there recently having to replace the fuel filler pipe and vent, much fun was had and like this job a real son of a preacherman.Next problem looming is to source a replacement pipe. I will post how I get on. Hopefully you will have sorted yours and have some wise words to help me on my way. Its blowing a gale and pissing down just to help things along as I am doing my fiddling out on the drive.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:26    Post subject: Re: AHC pipe connections Reply with quote

tim.mock wrote:
I have so far managed to release the pressure supply pipe fitting from the gizmo that has the sphere on it attached to the chassis. I cut the pipe and got a socket on it, bloody tight to undo but progress made, then it rained again. I am trying to figure out the connection to the top of the shocker same as you are. It seems to be a flange fitting with two 12mm headed machine screws on the side of shocker at the top.

Tim,

The 'gizmo' with the sphere is your 'shocker' ( Shocked ), the sphere gives you suspension movement.

The Suspension Strut is actually a Single-Acting Hydraulic Ram - nothing else. you pump oil into it and it gets longer, you let the oil out and the weight of the truck makes it shorter.

When the truck is moving and the suspension moves, the fluid (oil) is forced out of the Ram, back along the hydraulic pipe and into the 'Gizmo' where the pressure diaphragm compresses the gas in the sphere and allows the Ram to move (fluid is incompressible !). Its the gas pressure that provides your suspension (the springs are quite weak).

The 'Gizmo' incorporates an adjustable valve that alters the rate at which the fluid can pass in and out. That's what the electrical connections on the 'Gizmo' are doing - Altering your compression and rebound damping via the "Comfort/Sport" setting on the centre console.

The central strut that comes out of the Hydraulic Ram is hollow and smooth with an external thread lower down. When bolting it to the top mount you incorporate a Butterfly Flange that has two 8mm captive nuts incorporated.

The Hydraulic pipe simply pushes over the smooth, hollow pipe. It has a pair of rubber sealing washers inside. It incorporates a mounting that bolts to the 'Butterfly flange' and is all there is to hold the two together.

Whenever I'm working on the trucks I replace the Toyota "12mm, hollow crown, collapsing-head" Set screws with conventional 13mm-headed stainless items - with lashings of "Optimol TA" anti-sieze paste. Should I ever have to go in there again they will, hopefully, come apart more easily than they did the first time  Laughing.

Hope this helps.

Bob.
SteveM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, that explains a lot.
I'll post some more pics when I get under there again soon. I'm going to order some new pipes off Toyota before I tackle the old ones as they're in terrible condition.
tim.mock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:48    Post subject: Suspension pipes Reply with quote

Bob
Thanks for the explanation, that makes some more sense of it all. Still raining here so no progress today(you can only have so much fun with the water running up your shirt before the novelty wears off) Steve says that he is going to try to get some new pipes. I enquired from my local Mr T who told me they were no longer available. The very young spotty city slicker wasn't giving me the right vibes. Probable because I wasn't interested in buying a new Lexus while I was there. So no progress with that. They did however sell me some AHC fluid for £72.64 whilst they had me by the dangly bits.

I would be very interested to see if Steve is successful elsewhere.

Thanks everyone

Tim
tim.mock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 15:18    Post subject: AHC Pressure Reply with quote

Bob
Whilst pondering about a replacement hydraulic pipe from the gizmo to the ram,  what would be the maximum pressure am I likely to have to consider when sourcing a suitable material for a pipe please.

Many Thanks

Tim
SteveM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim, was it Snow's Toyota in Plymouth that said replacement pipes were unavailable?
SteveM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics of the task at hand.

tim.mock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 18:11    Post subject: AHC pipes Reply with quote

Steve
It was Snows of Exeter.
If you now have a part number ( i didn't) its worth a try as the lad wasn't very convincing to me that he looked it up properly.
The piccs are a  great help and look very much like mine with that amount of rust. I opted for the old oil treatment, worked well but dont do it on your own property!

Tim
SteveM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, for many part numbers I use the link below. It's an American site and as far as I'm aware the USA didn't get the 4.2 diesel engine option, but for everything apart from engine parts I found the part numbers and diagrams to be very accurate.

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com

I'm going to try Vactan rust treatment followed by 3M schutz undersealer on mine, not sure how messy it will be, but we'll soon find out i guess.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

For Toyota parts - give Simon Holton a call.

He is Parts Manager for Steven Eagell Toyota at Northampton.

Reception:  01604 788303
Direct Line: 01604 788307
E-mail:       simon.holton@steveneagell.co.uk

He's a good guy, very helpful and he'll give you a discount on the listed prices. I'm a regular customer of his  Wink.

If the pipes are out there he'll find them (better be sitting down when he e-mails you the quote though  Shocked).

The part numbers should be below the diagrams I posted earlier.

Bob.
SteveM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked £533.21 !!!!!!! Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

For both rear AHC pipes.

Just ordered them as this was as cheap as I could find - though I was assured that this price included 2 'O' rings - geee thanks.
tim.mock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 20:52    Post subject: AHC pipes Reply with quote

Steve
Thats a bit steep for two steep pipes and a bit of rubber. I havnt got mine off yet but when i do i think i might have a look at using some hydraulic fittings and tube. Whats the delivery time like ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: