Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Cabin Heater/blower

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daved

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 17:51    Post subject: Cabin Heater/blower Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just purchased an old 1996 Prado J95 with a 1KZTE engine.
2 days of owning and I needed to call the AA as it dumped its coolant all over the place, luckily once id arrived at my destination, turned out it was a split small rubber pipe around the back of the water pumper in between two metal pipes. Fixed at the side of the road with injector pipe.

Problem No1 is my cabin fan heater was only blowing hot air, climate control not working, temp dial not making any difference, I then read about a mechanical part to this behind the intercooler in the engine bay, I ve moved this by hand and now it only blows cold air.

Help.

Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 17:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Daved

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im amazed by the lack of response on this, I use to use another forum when I had an ST and the responses were always ample, maybe less users here,
Anyway, problem still persists, the blowers will blow hot or cold if adjusted manually by hand, by either adjusting the valve on the bulkhead behind the intercooler or at the other end of the cable on the passenger side behind the dash, so the cable is obviously fine.
Im assuming that this cable is controlled by an electronic servo that is connected to the temp control dial and suspect that this could be the problem.

Anyone have any thoughts or know how the system works.

thanks Rolling Eyes
Bert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Re: Cabin Heater/blower Reply with quote

[quote="Daved"]Hi,

I have just purchased an old 1996 Prado J95 with a 1KZTE engine.
2 days of owning and I needed to call the AA as it dumped its coolant all over the place, luckily once id arrived at my destination, turned out it was a split small rubber pipe around the back of the water pumper in between two metal pipes. Fixed at the side of the road with injector pipe.

Problem No1 is my cabin fan heater was only blowing hot air, climate control not working, temp dial not making any difference, I then read about a mechanical part to this behind the intercooler in the engine bay, I ve moved this by hand and now it only blows cold air.

Help.

Dave[/quote]

Hello Dave

I know it has been a while since you posted this, but did you ever manage to get it sorted? I've just purchased a 1997 Prado with a similar problem. No matter what setting I put the heater control to, it just pumps out hot air. Fine at the moment, but will be hell if we ever have a summer. There's also a 'whining' sound coming from under the near side passenger well which I think will be coming from a dirty blower fan that I'll tackle at the weekend. I was wondering if this is connected to the heater problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Simon
raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, if you have the prado that has button operated temp control panel with a small turning nob for hot and cold then yes there is a survo that moves the cable bewteen hot and cold temps.

Bad news is its very hard to get to and remove as its buried way back below the temp console and the screws that hold it in place are hidden by other fixed items.

you can just about see it if you remove the gear lever surround and listen as you select between hot and cold on the nob.

Mine stopped working and when i got the survo out it had lost some gear teeth so couldnt engage.

good luck if you attempt to get it out its a *beep*!!
Bert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Raven.
Thanks for that. Last night I got my body contorted enough to get underneath the passenger side console to have a look.
If I turn the heater switch/knob all the way to the left (cold) I can see the arm below try to move. This gets stuck at some point, but I can manually 'assist' it and the it will move all the way. The 'whirring' noise stops. Perhaps mine has also lost some gear teeth?
When I turn the heater switch all the way to the right (hot, surprise, surprise) again I can see the arm move, get stuck about half way, the whirring noise starts up again, until I assist it to move and the sound stops.
When I am driving, it makes no difference where ever the heating knob is set, as it is just getting stuck halfway. The air coming in through the vents is just hot and toasty. Ok for now, but no fun if we ever have a summer.

While I was having a look under the console, there is a cable (much like a bicycle brake cable) flapping about down there that is not connected to anything, nor can I see anywhere obvious it may connect to. Now I watched Columbo as a boy, and I'd bet that this loose cable has some small part to play in all this. Is it this cable that governs the heating valve in the engine bay?
I can send a photo of this loose cable, but being new to this site, I can't figure out how to do it....

At the moment, I have the facia of the main control housing off anyway as I'm fitting a different radio, and a second hand CB.
Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon
raven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again , yes there is a cable like a bike brake cable that attaches to the end of the servo arm and then when that moves from hot to cold the cable should move a small arm on like a black box thingy which is inline on a pipe under the bonnet up near the wipers.

if this cable is loose/flapping near the servo it has either broken or come away some how, from memory i think it has a nipple of some type on the end that seats in  the survo arm.

I hope its the cable as this is just about accessible without to many swear words, rather than having to replace the whole servo unit.

If all goes wrong you can just manually set the arm on the black box thingy which is inline on a pipe under the bonnet for cold in summer and warm in winter after all this is what actually governs how much warm water gets to the heater matrix. Its not ideal but you may go that way if you have to try remove the servo.

Good luck
Bert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Raven.
I was wondering if you do me a favour?
Is there anychance that you could take a photo of where your cable links up to the arm in the passenger side foot well and post it on here for me so I can see what is missing from mine?
It seems that becasue I am new on here, I can't yet upload any photos.

Hope you can help,

Simon
raven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello happy to take some pics but am off work at mo with acute bronchitus so cant go anywere near truck and fiddle(docs & wifes orders to rest)

if you have some pics send them to me at spokwa@hotmail.co.uk and i will see if it jogs the grey matter.

Obviously on the servo (black plastic box) there should be a small arm that moves back and forth and some sort of silver metal runner guide that gives it more support and this is were the cable should be attached.

if were still struggling to figure it out, hopefully i can get upside down in the passenger foot well soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: