4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My Landcruiser won't start. Please help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Engine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan2479

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27    Post subject: My Landcruiser won't start. Please help. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
                 I havn't used my LHD 2003 LC for a couple of years now, I have a more eco-friendly Toyota Auris on the Motorbility scheme.  I used to start it up regularly, but then I got worse condition wise & couldn't get to do it.  Anyway, I eventually managed to give it an oil change, & I had the battery out of it for quite a long time to top up with distilled water & charge it as the indicator said it needed a good charge.

When I put the battery back in & tried to start it, all it would do was try to turn over without actually turning over.  This was followed by a lot of flashing of lights on the instrument panel & some very fast clicking noises.  A neighbour has lent me another battery & a real set of heavy duty jump leads, but as yet my health problems have stopped me doing anything else.

I purchased the Landcruiser in Spain in 03, brand new.  It's only done just over 35,000 miles, I was in the process of getting it ready to re-register.  I have changed over the headlights & put in a new dash overlay which displays mph instead of kph.
I've also had four brand new tyres put on, but the beautiful beast refuses to start.

Do any of you very knowledgable people have any idea what the problen or problems could be please?  I'll be most grateful for any help or tips that are forthcoming.

Many Thanks in anticipation, from a very frustrated Landcruiser Owner.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fridayman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like flat battery. Have you tried jumping it yet? Best to jump off another running vehicle.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not been running for a while, then you will probably better off just buying two replacement batteries from the Toyota main dealer.
Surprisingly, not that expensive.

Take out the old batteries, and give the battery clamps the "new look" treatment.
Fit the clamps, nice and tight.
Get them as clean as possible, as your going to need all the amps available in the batteries to start winding the engine over that hasn't run for a while.

The most economical way of starting, adn preserving your battery power, is to just turn the engine while counting to 5.
Then rest for 30 seconds.
Repeat.
Don't be tempted to use Ether, as an easy start, it really wouldn't be kind to your engine.

Report back.

vette
nivapilot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, do you have access to a volt meter?

Cetainly sounds like flat/faulty batteries to me.

Connect voltmeter across terminals and note reading......should be between 12.2 and 12.8 volts....if low, recharge and try again.
If reeding is ok, try to start and watch meter reading at the same time, engine should crank and voltage should NOT drop below 9volts during crank.

If any readings are outside of these figures.....replace battery/ies and start again.

Best of luck.
alan2479

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fridayman,
                  thanks for your answer, after having topped & charged the battery until the charge indicator was a vivid electric blue colour, which meant that it was perfectly charged.  Was when I getting the symptoms that I descibed in my initial post, even today the battery is still holding it's charge, when I put a volt meter to the battery, it was reading 13.2 volts.

All the lights work & are good & brightas they should be, the horn is loud, the audio equipment works great and is very loud.  I was wondering if it could be a fuel problem, but I know nothing about diesel mechanics.

All the best
Alan.
alan2479

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vette,
                my Landcruiser only has the one battery, the last time I got it to start was about 7 months ago.  Key in, clutch in turn key & walla it started perfectly.  Since then I've done an oil change as well as the filter, but apart from doing that I've done nothing else that I can think of that would cause trouble.
alan2479

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vette,
            I remember using ether as a cold starting aid when our trucks wouldn't start when I was in the Army.  It sure did a great job of getting the trucks going.

Thanks for bringing that memory back, they were great days, with brilliant mates.

Thank you all for your input.

Alan.
fridayman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is good then I would be looking for a bad connection - start with giving the battery posts a clean and making sure that the terminals are on properly.
alan2479

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 16:42    Post subject: LC 2003 engine won't start Reply with quote

Hi all,
       since my last post I have done the following, which I guess isn't much really.

A friend lent me his heavy duty jump leads & a heavy duty battery, at 1st I put the leads to the neg & pos terminals on the battery, & then I did the same to the battery in the LC.  I went to drivers seat & turned the key, nothing happened except smoke came off of the neg terminal so I switched it off quickly, I felt the leads & they were quite warm, so disconnected from both batteries.

So then I re-connected the jump leads & put the pos lead on the cars battery & the neg lead to the engine block.  This time when I tried to start it unsucessfully, smoke came from the pos terminal.

I checked all of the fuses under the bonnet, & they are all fine.  I don't know how to check the other components in the fuse box, i.e relays and other items.

At this moment in time I don;t have the tools to remove the starter motor.  They all got stolen in Spain when our house got blown up by a gas tanker that crashed about 85 metres over the road from where we lived.  ( I know.  Boo Hoo ).

Does anyone have any further suggestions as to what to do please?

All the Best to you all.

Alan.
joinerman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have two batteries under the bonnet which battery are you using to jump start it ? you should ONLY use the drivers side one ( right hand drive models )
alan2479

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40    Post subject: Engine Reply with quote

Hi Joinerman,
                 My model of Landcruiser only has the 1 battery which is on the nearside of the engine compartment.

Alan.
alan2479

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 16:15    Post subject: Is there a way to reset the Immobiliser Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
                      I'm sure that when I took the battery out of My Land cruiser, the immobiliser kicked in.  Does anyone know how to disable the immobiliser please?

Many Thanks.

Alan.
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think anyone's going to tell you on an open forum.  sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: