Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Land Cruiser Change to newer model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:04    Post subject: Land Cruiser Change to newer model Reply with quote

I have had a 90 series (2001) LC VX with a D4D engine for 8 years and in general its been a great car for us, very reliable and I like driving it -its "honest" in its abilities and never lets you down.
I have others cars but was wanting to consolidate to a smaller number as I am now retired and was looking reduce the spend on cars.  Its just me and the wife and a couple of dogs but its amazing how often we still use the LC to its max - all of the seats are out apart from the front 2 at the moment!
An option I was thinking about was jacking in the LC and E Class Merc estate and getting a newer LC to cover the function that both cover at the moment.  I drove the LC on a 1200 mile round trip towing a double axil trailer and concluded that the LC was a pretty good long distance car.  
So I'd like experienced owners opinion on what is the pick of the crop.
I want it to be as reliable and capable as my good old 90 but with better road dynamics and economy if possible.  I have been looking at the 120 series LC4 2006-2009 say (don't fancy the LC5 suspension costs when it goes wrong) or possibly newer 150 2010-2012.  Id like to keep the outlay below £20K.
After a bit of research I've ruled out other SUVs Merc ML/Disco sound too unreliable nothing else worth considering is there?
So when looking at 120s how can I check about the injector gasket upgrade has been done.  I've a friend thats gone through that nightmare and his rebuilt engine has just packed in!
Is the 150 free from all of that nonsense?
Your experienced opinions welcome.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've very pleased with my 120 series LC4.

The only way to check the injector seals have been changed is to ring a toyota dealer.  There are no stickers in the book or anything like that.

Julian at overland cruisers gave mine a thorough going over about a year ago.  Rebuilt the brake calipers, fitted new discs and pads.  Changed the oils, etc.  And gave it a good clean and dinitrol.  It wasn't cheap, but it's running better than ever now.

If you start looking now, you'll likely pay less than you would in the autumn.
Neilto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've been looking at these a bit and findings so far are..
150 Series
I saw a 12 plate one for £27K LC4 so NO sunroof! apparently you need to get the Air (unreliable and expensive to fix) suspension LC5 to get a sunroof.
The rear row of seats are built into the floor so you can't take them out.  It results in a massively high entry height and my dogs would need a ladder to get in and out of that where as they currently hop in.
The above 2 items are pretty much deal breakers for me plus the car doesn't generally feel as well put together as previous models.

120 Series
I saw and drove a 120 Invincible yesterday - nice genuine car but it didn't feel that much faster than my 90  series despite having allegedly 200 hp.  Few little niggles and things that need sorting that make me unlikely to complete but it felt like a better overall package than the 150  and less than half the price.

Also looked a Nissan X-trail which seem to offer nearly as much for less outlay again previous model seems to be better than the new one - more power and better towing etc.  A 1.6 4x4 that can two 2 tonnes yea that'll last for ever!  The last 1.6 I bought was a mk1 Golf GTI in 1983!

Confirms my long held belief that we have peaked with cars and its downhill from here on.
marlot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the first generation (2006-ish) invincibles had 200bhp.  The second and third gens had a 173 the same as a regular LC.
Neilto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one was 2006 and advertised with 200hp although it didn't feel like it to me
TR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 150 series has a sunroof on the 2011 anniversary model.
I enquired about the rear seat unit removal and was told it can be taken out as a complete unit, I also have dogs and the load height is just too much.
I have the 2007 120 Invincible 201bhp model and agree it does not feel much different to the normal model.
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered going petrol and getting it LPG converted.
Mines a 3.4 petrol 90 series which i've decided against converting due basically to its age, but the engine is surprisingly fast, stump pulling almost Diesel like low rev torque it sprints away at a rate that surprises many car owners, and the fuel hardly worse than the Diesel, arguably if you drove a Diesel fast enough to keep up with it i wonder if there would be any difference at all, i had a 3.0 litre 70 till about 12 years ago and you could get that down to 16mpg if you gave it some welly

120 gets a 4.0 litre V6, so more power still, the only trouble is the VED which you should check whatever you are considering anyway, after March 06 it's £500 but i believe most 120's after that date, even the Diesels, go into that band...i simply won't pay that for our traitorous leaders and their henchmen to waste.

LPG isn't the simplest conversion on the 90 or 120 because the ideal site for the gas tank is where the existing petrol tank is, so its a case of a new small petrol tank and the gas tank beside it, not cheap but worth it for a long term project.

A direct grey import Prado might be worth considering, 120 body available with either 3.4 or 4.0 litre petrols or indeed the 3.0 litre Diesel, won't have seen road salt so could be a good base car for getting seriously rustproofed for a very long life...thats one of my options for the future as i'm approaching retirement in a few years, but also we've had bomb proof service from our Subaru Outback H6, which is LPG converted, so a later grey of one of those a possibility instead for us.

If a grey is a possible remember if over 10 years old its a lot simpler to get registered and approved here.
Neilto

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice above - food for thought.
Neilto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still looking - God I take ages to decide on a new car these days.
Can anyone advice on the pros and con of LC5 vs LC4 on a 150 series.  Is the ride on the air suspension LC5 significantly better?  And how about reliability.  More all terrain goodies on the LC5 as well I see which I can't see me using all that often so maybe LC4 (with Sunroof option) would be the wise choice?
Will be selling my 90 series VX soon which would be a good car for those in that market sector.  Is there not a classified section on here for cars - I can't seem to get this to view?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the 90, and laugh all the way to the bank!

Smile

Spend it on having fun with the loved ones instead!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: