4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

One for the tech'ies here P1121

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
booto101

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:53    Post subject: One for the tech'ies here P1121 Reply with quote

Talking to my son whilst replacing both batteries on my 03 4.2 diesel LC 100 fitted with a tune it chip, left me putting the wrong battery (momentarily) on the n/s, this resulted in one of the main links in the box on the battery connection breaking and some fuses blowing.
I've repaired the link and changed the fuses and checked, re-checked and checked again all fuses in all three fuseboxes but am left with an odd fault.
All is fine and functional until I get to the kickdown position, as soon as the accelerator pedal hits the floor (or very near) the ecu light comes on and the motor drops into limp mode, about 1100rpm max and virtually no power, rough gear change etc.
Turn it off, leave it 30 seconds and we're off again.
With a Snap-on code reader it comes up with P1121 "accelerator range performance error", if you clear the code and drive normal i.e. no full throttle it does not register any faults until full pedal is pressed again. The fault also occurs if the vehicle is static and in neutral.

I have taken off the throttle body and cleaned it out (no difference) and have noticed a switch in the there which makes when the throttle is fully open but am now out of ideas, I cannot see how a pedal (next logical change) could be damaged by a battery reversal.
Up until the "incident all was fine", i have not yet tried disconnecting the tune it chip, its my next move.

Any clues or similar events out there, or does anyone know if there is calibration procedure.....please...

Chris
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Edward

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it is a problem with the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor/switch which is part of the Accelerator Pedal assembly; in theory this should not have got go damaged due to reverse battery polarity, but it is the next logical step in the diagnosis.
booto101

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of forced to agree, but like you dont see how, i presume its only a potentiometer.
Luckily I've a good mate who has one more or less identical an he's voluntered to use his to swap parts about to see what is the issue To avoid an expesive "try it an see" scenario.....

So I'm planning to visit him next week.....

Thanks for your comments...

Chris
andy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info here. http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/p1121-always-a-apps.340877/
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Edward

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The APPS uses hall effect, so it's not just a simple potentiometer. Good luck with your fault finding.
booto101

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well finally got home and un-plugged the "power chip" and problem solved, everything back to normal but you can feel a difference in the power region.
So I will return it via the dealer that fitted it and hopefully the manufacturer will replace/reprogramme and return it to me.

Bet that one was a new one for the forum.

But thats why we are here to "live - learn & share".

Thanks for your help and interest.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: