Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC 90 2002 Losing power on hills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flowerboy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 19:29    Post subject: LC 90 2002 Losing power on hills Reply with quote

Recently bought a 2002 Landcruiser 90, D4D 3lt engine  

Driving along motorway at 70 hit a hill and the power just drops off, kick down working drops a gear but still no pulling power!

Put a caravan on the back and it really struggles Sad

Anyone come across this?

No fault codes or warning lights!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 19:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 23:45    Post subject: Re: LC 90 2002 Losing power on hills Reply with quote

Check the air filter, and the hoses for blockages/collapsed pipes.

Check that the Turbo is spinning freely.

Check that the air inlet pipes are all clear and that there are no splits/leaks (I had an Intercooler pipe blow off on a Ford Focus - it would run, but not pull!).

Make sure that the EGR Valve isn't stuck open - when pulling you will get too much exhaust entering the inlet manifold.

Failing all that, it could be fuelling. you may have to drop the fuel tank and clean the sock filter on the pickup pipe. They can end up looking like this . . . .

Also check the diesel filter.

Beyond this, it gets technical  Rolling Eyes

Bob.
Flowerboy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Thanks for coming back to me all good suggestions and already been through them all, I have the turbo off at the moment and it all looks good, struggling to find any information on checking the electronic wastegate actuator 6 pin plug if anyone has access to this info?
Edward

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to use Turbo actuator tester to check it. Depends on the tester used, but procedure will be similar to this: http://auto-testers.com/download/IT_002.pdf
Flowerboy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edward,
Thanks for the input.

An actuator tester would be great I have tried all the turbo reman centres in my area and none of them has one that will test my turbo actuator model, seems to be a bit of an odd ball turbo (17201 - 30010) as no one does the gasket set either just had to buy a gold plated set of gaskets from Toyota!
Edward

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, if you are sort of sure it is a faulty actuator, you could just replace it for around £50-60 and have a go.
Flowerboy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be plan B but as yet I have not found anyone who list an actuator for my turbo (part number 17201-30010) all seem to have different terminations, price wise they are all around £100 to £140!
Flowerboy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:41    Post subject: LC 90 D4D Turbo problem Reply with quote

That would be plan B but as yet I have not found anyone who list an actuator for my turbo (part number 17201-30010) all seem to have different terminations, price wise they are all around £100 to £140!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: