4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Cruise Control help please

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markspark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 20:45    Post subject: Cruise Control help please Reply with quote

Hi im looking for some help/advice to fit cruise control to my Colorado vx 3.0 d4d Auto 2002

Today I have been to a local salvage yard and bought a cc switch and clock spring, the clock spring is not needed as I have the same one on my car. When I fit the cruise control stalk and connect it up it does nothing  Sad   have I forgot to do something or is there other oarts required to make it work

Can anyone help me with this please
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:27    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control help please Reply with quote

markspark wrote:
Hi im looking for some help/advice to fit cruise control to my Colorado vx 3.0 d4d Auto 2002

Today I have been to a local salvage yard and bought a cc switch and clock spring, the clock spring is not needed as I have the same one on my car. When I fit the cruise control stalk and connect it up it does nothing  Sad   have I forgot to do something or is there other oarts required to make it work

Can anyone help me with this please

Errrrr . . .

I have Cruise Control on my '100', and it is also on both daughters' RAV-4s. I also had it on a BMW K1200GT motorcycle (!).

It is complicated as it is linked to the Engine Management System, the Transmission Management and the brakes. There will be ECUs (computers) involved all over the place and I doubt if all the physical links and Software are installed on a car that didn't have it as standard.

I may be wrong but I think there is more to it than just buying a switch. What did you connect the CC Switch to ??

I'll need to search through the '90-Series' wiring diagrams but I think you still have a way to go.

Others may know more about the practicalities than I do.

Bob.
markspark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply the cc stalk that I have connects to the clock spring that sits behind the steering wheel, with mine being the vx model I have read somewhere that the wiring should all be in place to make the cc work. But as I do when im searching for info I had lots of windows open on the laptop and I cannot remember which site I got the info off Sad
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. The 'clock spring' is the "Spiral Cable Assembly", which connects the moving parts on the steering wheel to the fixed wiring on the steering column (and possibly elsewhere).

On my 'GX' the spiral cable only connects the airbag and the horn, though there are quite a few 'circuits' available in the coiled ribbon cable.

When I bought my 1998 '95' in 2008 the spiral cable was in pieces and I had to fit a new one. The truck was 10 years old. Yours is now 14 years old so it might be worth doing a continuity test between the input and output contacts in case your cable has also failed.

Once you have established that all the connections are sound you can start looking elsewhere - if its still not working.

Bob.
markspark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have check the signal from the cc stalk to the clock spring (squib) behind the steering wheel and im getting readings coming out into the wiring loom of the car so I now know all the stalk and squib are fine and the signal is passing through. I have also took the dash out of the car to check that there is a bulb in the cruise light on the cluster and this is present and working

Im now looking for how the brake pedal switch works with the cruise control and how many switches there are on the pedal ??
Edward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link: http://www.pradopoint.com/archive/index.php/t-29937.html
markspark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Edward it was a good read

Now im looking for the wiring diagrams for my 2002 Colorado so I can trace the wiring and sensors to see what and where they are
Edward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that all you need do is plug in the CC stalk - think you will need an ECU as well?  Seen some AM kits being sold online and they seem to include an ECU in the kit. See: http://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-PRADO-90-SERIES-CRUISE-CONTROL-KIT-1999-2003-AUTOSTRADA-TY19S-/172021472539
Maybe you can contact the Oz company that makes them (http://www.autostrada.com.au) and get some background info?
markspark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure about the extra ecu I know you need them for the aftermarket kit but im trying to add the oem type which I understand that with my car having the later engine the ecu in the car should do the work
I do have the wiring diagrams now but im finding the hard to understand
Edward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the wiring diagram, then this should show if there is an "Cruiser Control ECU" or not? - suggest you start looking at the "Overall Electrical Wiring Diagram" for the Cruise Control system. As far as I know, only the UK Petrol GX and VX Colorado model had Cruise control as OEM fit, so again bear that in mind when looing at the wiring diagrams.
markspark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look over the wiring diagram and I don't see and extra ecu only the main ecu that controls the car
I could email you the wiring diagram if you would like a look over them you would need to pm me your email address
I think the petrol gx and vx where cable driven but mine being the d4d is fly by wire
Edward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMed you now.
mks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward wrote:
If you got the wiring diagram, then this should show if there is an "Cruiser Control ECU" or not? - suggest you start looking at the "Overall Electrical Wiring Diagram" for the Cruise Control system. As far as I know, only the UK Petrol GX and VX Colorado model had Cruise control as OEM fit, so again bear that in mind when looing at the wiring diagrams.

Edward I have a UK 2002 VX D4D and it doesn't have cruise control, at least not as far as I know

I would be interested to know if there is a simple mod but I suspect not
markspark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is also a uk 2002 vx d4d Im still not able to get the cruise working although over the past few days ive not had the time to be playing about with it to try and get it working
But if I do get it working I will update on here with how I did it
Edward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I think only the Petrol GX and the Petrol VX (V6 engine) had CC as OEM fit. As far as I know the UK spec Diesel VX (D4D engine) did not have CC as an OEM fit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: