Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tacho stopped working and holding back on acceleration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REGORTLC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04    Post subject: Tacho stopped working and holding back on acceleration Reply with quote

Hi, have just developed a fault where yesterday the Tacho decided to stop working and when accelerating past 40mph engine is hesitant. All is ok up to this point by just feathering the throttle but when I try to accelerate it holds back badly. I have thought of the obvious, plugs, points etc with the holding back problem but as the Tacho has gone down as well it may be a problem connected. If anyone has experienced this problem any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

REGORTLC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18    Post subject: Tacho stopped working and holding back on acceleration Reply with quote

further to my posting I mentioned points, should have said coils Embarassed must be an age thing.
REGORTLC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

No replies as yet but does anyone have an idea where the feed for the rev counter is taken from.
andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it's from the ECU, but you need to find a wiring diagram.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
REGORTLC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, thanks for the info, have followed the wiring diagram from my Ellery manual and indeed it does show the tacho with a black wire leading to the ECU unit behind the glovebox. A black wire is shown exiting the ECU to a speed sensor. This is the sensor on the offside rear of the gearbox. No info on this so I'm not sure whether this feeds off the shaft generating the tacho which in turn determines gear change. Vehicle is driveable but once you accelerate especially under load it holds back, the gear change is erratic and also seems to coast when slowing. No check lights are showing but will have a look at the state of all connections tomorrow.
REGORTLC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Andy, good news took the glove box out exposing the ECU unit. There are four blocks of wires facing. Pulled each out checking for any signs of corrosion etc. All seemed o/k and simply clicked them back in making sure they were fully home. Sorted, the rev counter is now working again, took it for a test drive, no hesitation or holding back either. Now changes gear as it should. A simple fix but worth noting if anyone has symptoms of a similar nature. Check this out first.
andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect it to be that simple, obviously a bad connection in a plug, or some corrosion.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: