Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Should I buy a 200 series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whallbuilding

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:54    Post subject: Should I buy a 200 series. Reply with quote

Hi. We have owned our Colorado for the last 16years and it has been the best car we have had.
It started of being used by my wife for the first 8years but then she wanted a mini because she couldn't find car parking spaces to park in hospital car parks where she worked.
Then I had it for for seven years pulling plant trailers around for work.
When my wife finished work we started fostering and had 2 toddlers for nearly a year in which time she had MY car back.
There is not much wrong with the car but a change is now on the cards, (ive finally got the money to change).
I've always really liked the Amazon 100 series but my wife didnt liked the ones we have test driven. And then we looked at a 200 series we both really liked it, went away to think about it and it sold that afternoon.
There are so few of these about and so little on the forum here.
What do others think about them, should I talk her into the 100?
Thanks
Rob
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desire was a 100, preferably a V8 which i would get LPG converted.

I still like them, a lot, they drive well and have far more luxurious ride than the 90, however the ones i've looked under have been rather more rust affected than expected and following the 100 series technical forums here and elsewhere the rather too many expensive and unecessary faults have almost certainly decided me against one, but you never know if the right one comes along at a fair price.

With that in mind, the even more complication of the 200 may mean more issues there as time goes by too, unknown quantity yet.

A good 120, or 150 if you can stand the styling (i can't, but one mans meat etc), would most likely be a simpler and better long term economical to own bet if you avoid the top spec with its suspension issues.

Course if the likely bills that might accompany a 100 and probably 200 as they age won't bother you in the slightest, then by all means have exactly what you want, you can't take it with you, if i didn't mind the real possibility of £3/4k bills for brake or suspension work, let alone what that engine or gearbox failure might cost i'd have a 200 tomorrow.
It's not a case of affording it, it's the case that the bomb proof 70/80 series endless rugged durability appears to have been lost in the cause of Range Rover comforts and toys, not sure if 200 will make the tough and still durable grade, time will tell.

Thats probably no help to you at all cos we all require different things, but i have a feeling 90 and standard spec 120's are the last UK version LC's with reasonably simple and proved engineering, about the only issues to be really concerned about are  injector blow by on the 3.0 litre if its been fitted with copper seals, and the obvious of checking for chassis corrosion and taking appropriate measures if starting before it becomes an issue.
A 4.0 V6 120 with an LPG conversion would be a particularly good all rounder IMHO and still a fairly simple motor, natural heir to the 90.

One other thing about 90/120 is that despite having good interior space, the vehicle itself is still relatively narrow with good turning circle and surprisingly nimble on our crowded roads, if regularly in traffic or having to use narrowish or heavily parked roads is in your normal use.
whallbuilding

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Juddian.
We had a look at the 120 but it didn't feel much like an improvement on what we have, and the ones we looked at had a little too much rust. I'm looking for something that I can get 15-20 years of service out of so I guess that's why I'm looking at newer.
I understand what you say about reliability, it's as if Toyota found out how to build really good trucks on the 80/90 series and then went about making them more complicated with electrics.
I remember being put of my 90 series 16 years ago because it had electric Windows and central locking, and the auto gearbox my dad said I'd gone mad. All of which has never given one bit of trouble.
The cylinder head went towing twin axle caravan to Spain but it got us home again. It could do with new suspension as the ride is not good now and I don't think the back axle will be long before it needing changing, but it's just gone through mot again no problem.
We really need the 100 or 200 because of the towing weight, and narrow roads and parking are no longer a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: