All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Unsafe wheels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 19:56    Post subject: Unsafe wheels? Reply with quote

My newly acquired cruiser has aftermarket alloy wheels on it with plastic trim which covers the hub bolts. I had this plastic trim off today and I noticed that there isn't an awful lot of thread holding each of the nuts on! Shocked (only about half of the depth of each nut is actually holding any thread) I'm guessing this isn't normal for a 80 (or any other car!) so what would the course of action be? I'm guessing the bolts are standard length?  Confused I would put up a link to photos but I haven't made enough posts to be authorised yet.

Please help as I don't really want to be running around in a death trap!

Matt999
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 19:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the wrong wheels for the truck, send me a PM and I will let you have my email address to send pictures too.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

All depends on how far into the wheel the nuts go, it doesn't look good to me.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel studs are to suit steel wheels, not alloy.

Roger
SandCruiser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks, this is my first post and I actually signed up just to make it ( I am a member of IH8MUD).

I believe you have older Zender brand wheels, the "Monza" model.  I had these on my VW a while back and with low profile tires the wheels kept cracking on potholes. But the holes weren't bad enough to crack a wheel, or shouldn't have been. It turned out that these were first gen wheels that were low pressure cast and had neither the US DOT certification nor the Japanese JDM stamp on them for use on Japanese roads.  I'm not sure why you're having the thread problem just yet, but I would replace those wheels at soon as possible, especially if they're going to see rocks and hard offroad use. I don't believe they are safe.

SDIPhil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested l have 5 X  285x75x16 alloys and tyres with BFG all terrain tyres on. I got them for my LC 80 but used my older road tyres as l was keeping these for 'best'. Never got around to using them. 4 X 12mm & 1 X 13mm (new) so as you can see never really used. They are on proper LC alloys and been refurbished not long back. Decent offers will be appreciated. Email me on philg.winn@btinternet.com
SDIPhil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested l have 5 X  285x75x16 alloys and tyres with BFG all terrain tyres on. I got them for my LC 80 but used my older road tyres as l was keeping these for 'best'. Never got around to using them. 4 X 12mm & 1 X 13mm (new) so as you can see never really used. They are on proper LC alloys and been refurbished not long back. Decent offers will be appreciated. Email me on philg.winn@btinternet.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: