Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

As problematic as claimed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal Mother

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 20:34    Post subject: As problematic as claimed? Reply with quote

Having read, primarily through Australian Prado/Toyota fora, the 3.0 diesel Colorado, in both 1KZTE and 1KDFTE (D4D) flavours, are said to be both unreliable.

The 1KZTE regularly cracking their heads with; "it's only a matter of time..." and "they all do it..." type comments. Admittedly, I had a surf with this motor and the head was like cheese.

The 1KDFTE with their constant cold start issues, lumpy running, noisy injectors, leaking injector seals, poor fuel system and sludging oil causing catastrophic early failures. How true is this in UK vehicles and does it affect the J90?

Also, there's claims of the rear diffs going, steering racks needing to be replaced and seizing brakes. The trouble is, UK Colorado's may experience these issues or a completely different set of issues and I'm wondering who to believe.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 20:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be a case of only hearing more about the problems than the vehicles that don't have problems.

From what I have read of others experiences, head failure is usually (always?) the result of overheating; either the cooling system has been neglected or the vehicle is used for heavy towing.  Usual advice is to change radiator (the Roughtrax unit seems most popular) and always use Toyota red (although the latter may be more about corrosion resistance than anything else).  Many owners have taken additional measures such as lower temperatire thermostat and refilling the viscous fan hub with oil.

Although it's a bit of a weak spot, if you keep on top of the cooling it may not ever arise.  It's certainly not enough to make you want to avoid the car and is far from being 'made of cheese' or just a matter of time.  I wonder if the climate makes a difference in Oz?

Back axles, again its a weak spot but you can keep on top of it.  EVERYTHING rusts in the UK and the back axle is the only special weak point for rust on the 90.  It can be managed by keeping it clean, keeping the drain holes at the base of the upper suspension arm turrets clear and waxoyl.

At the end of the day, these cars are getting on now.  Point me in the direction of anything of similar age/price/off-road ability bracket that doesn't have worse issues and I'll snap your hand off Exclamation
Animal Mother

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggerdave wrote:
It may well be a case of only hearing more about the problems than the vehicles that don't have problems.

From what I have read of others experiences, head failure is usually (always?) the result of overheating; either the cooling system has been neglected or the vehicle is used for heavy towing.  Usual advice is to change radiator (the Roughtrax unit seems most popular) and always use Toyota red (although the latter may be more about corrosion resistance than anything else).  Many owners have taken additional measures such as lower temperatire thermostat and refilling the viscous fan hub with oil.

Although it's a bit of a weak spot, if you keep on top of the cooling it may not ever arise.  It's certainly not enough to make you want to avoid the car and is far from being 'made of cheese' or just a matter of time.  I wonder if the climate makes a difference in Oz?

Back axles, again its a weak spot but you can keep on top of it.  EVERYTHING rusts in the UK and the back axle is the only special weak point for rust on the 90.  It can be managed by keeping it clean, keeping the drain holes at the base of the upper suspension arm turrets clear and waxoyl.

At the end of the day, these cars are getting on now.  Point me in the direction of anything of similar age/price/off-road ability bracket that doesn't have worse issues and I'll snap your hand off Exclamation

Thank you for a great answer.

Do you have an opinion on the early D4D (1KDFTE) motor?
diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no direct experience of one.  But I'll definitely consider one when mine eventually gives up the ghost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: