Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake and ABS warning lights and buzzer on but brakes OK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john668

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 0:36    Post subject: Brake and ABS warning lights and buzzer on but brakes OK? Reply with quote

My brake and ABS warning lights and a very annoying buzzer/siren came on yesterday. Stayed on for about 5 miles of driving in town with plenty of brake use, then went off again. Today I drove it just a few metres and all the warnings were back. I have seen posts advising that this warning usually indicates failure of the brake pressure booster pump motor. However, in my case the brakes continued to function normally. This leads me to think that maybe it's a pressure sensing issue, rather than an actual loss of pressure. Where do I start?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 0:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24    Post subject: Re: Brake and ABS warning lights and buzzer on but brakes OK Reply with quote

The Power Braking assembly looks like this:

My suggestion is to concentrate on that black box on the side!

I have replaced the Pump Motor on mine, but haven't looked inside that box so I don't know what you will find in there - hopefully a pressure switch that can be tested and replaced.

Let us know what you find (and be careful, these things are about £3,000 from Toyota - or £350 from American e-Bay  Wink).

Bob.
john668

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
I investigated things a bit more this morning and found that initially all the warnings had gone but if I pumped the brake many times they eventually came on. I tried this procedure again after switching the ignition off/on, which reset the warnings, this time everything was fine, no warnings. I don't use the LC every day, it often sits unused for days or even weeks, which isn't always good for a vehicle. I suspect that it is actually the pump motor on it's last legs and the warnings come on when the pump has had a momentary failure to start, but then burst into life so the brakes are OK. But the warnings don't go away for a period of time or until the ignition off/on has reset them. All this brake activity might have loosened the motor or pump up a bit and improved its chances of starting when required to.
So it looks like I need to get the pump motor out and have it reconditioned/rewound.
Cheers
John
john668

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that £350 from American e bay for a used unit?
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 19:37    Post subject: Re: Brake and ABS warning lights and buzzer on but brakes OK Reply with quote

john668 wrote:
My brake and ABS warning lights and a very annoying buzzer/siren came on yesterday. Stayed on for about 5 miles of driving in town with plenty of brake use, then went off again. Today I drove it just a few metres and all the warnings were back. I have seen posts advising that this warning usually indicates failure of the brake pressure booster pump motor. However, in my case the brakes continued to function normally. This leads me to think that maybe it's a pressure sensing issue, rather than an actual loss of pressure. Where do I start?

Have you checked the fluid level, or the pad wear for that matter ?
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

john668 wrote:
Is that £350 from American e bay for a used unit?

Yes.

I managed to find a good, used unit in Britain for that price, but there are (or were then) a load of them in the USA.

The replacement unit is working fine, but I also had the pump motor from the old unit refurbished - I now have a spare unit sitting in the wings  Cool.

These guys did a good job on the pump motor (they have done a few of them before).

Cost with postage and VAT about £200:

Robson & Francis Rewinds Ltd
Unit 9
Vale Industrial Park
170 Rowan Road
London
SW16 5BN
Telephone
020 7733 2353
Email
info@robsonandfrancisrewinds.co.uk

http://www.robsonandfrancisrewinds.co.uk/contact/index.html

Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: