NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

12 Volt Cig lighter socket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 14:58    Post subject: 12 Volt Cig lighter socket Reply with quote

Hi Guys, Just bought a 12 volt air compressor for inflating tyres as we have dubious air supplies on the garage forecourts here and noticed that in the instructions....yes I actually read them first Shocked  it says to use the 12volt supply  socket not the cigarette lighter. Is this a chinese translation or is there another socket hidden away somewhere that I haven't found yet? I have a '92 LJ70. Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 14:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cigarette lighter sockets don't have the necessary amperage rating to cope with a compressor.

Your LJ 70 does not have a dedicated power outlet.

Your best option is to fit suitable crocodile clips to the leads and run directly off the battery. I suggest you do a trial run to check the lead is long enough for the compressor to reach each wheel, incl. the spare.

Roger
johnmcc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run mine off the cigar lighter, but not for long.  It can get pretty hot if you're not careful.
cardo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the quick reply guys. I will see if I can rig something external up as you suggest. I have a 12 volt transformer for a cooler that I could work with, with the necessary socket attached, so I'll get my thinking cap on. Thanks for your help. Cool
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your cooler transformer is DC and not AC
cardo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Chicken wrote:
Make sure your cooler transformer is DC and not AC

Yes its ok....thanks for the thought.
Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fag lighter sockets are rated at 10amps but I've found if you start pulling much over 5 the centre pin on the socket can get hot. I needed a power point in the back for a transverter so I ran a 10mm cable from the battery via a 30 amp fuse and used Anderson powerpole connectors at the other end. I tried a 2.5mm cable initially and the voltage drop under load was over 2 volts.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
cardo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Phil, will look along those lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: