NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Gear stick rattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaco12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 14:47    Post subject: Gear stick rattle Reply with quote

First of all Hi to all,
                         I have 97 R plate Colorado TDX and it has developed a rattle from gear stick when driving. It seems to be in 2 seperate pieces joined by some sort of
ball joint. The actual rattle comes from above this within the housing basically the shaft is hitting the metal housing below gear knob. How do I remove and refit without damaging joint? Sorry I dont know the technical name for the joint but it seems to be made of a metal joint within a rubber seal.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as Im embarking on a 2400mile trip and dont really want to be holding the gear stick all the way to stop the constant rattle.

thanks in advance Jaco
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 14:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 23:38    Post subject: Re: Gear stick rattle Reply with quote

Hi Jaco, welcome to the site.

This issue has been covered before and there is a thread on here somewhere (I'll have a look for it).

Unfortunately, the gear lever comes as a single part and isn't designed to be dis-assembled  Rolling Eyes

From what I recall, people have removed the lever (not dificult to do), turned it upside down and squirted silicone sealant or similar up the sleeve.

That stops the rattle and still gives some articulation.

If you put a lot in, it may take a long time to cure  Very Happy

Give it a try.

Bob.
steve allard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i did (a bit rough) was to cut an inner tube into an endless rubber band and simply "splinted it" and that cured it, its a year now....
Mike O

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 20:02    Post subject: 90 Series Gear Lever Rattle Reply with quote

Having read the various posts relating the infuriating gear lever rattle  problem on the LandCruiser 90 Series, and the lack of a formal fix, I can report that I successfully cured the rattle as follows.

Remove the gear lever and transfer lever knobs.
Remove the plastic centre console top shroud (simply unsnaps from the lower part).
Detach and lift off the gear lever housing and bellows assemblies (undo the retaining screws). It may be necessary to prise it up to separate the seal.
Using a commercially available heavy duty PTFE self amalgamating tape, wrap the tape about 12 times around the lever where the inner rod emerges from the bottom of the outer sleeve. Make sure that the tape overlaps both components of the gear lever, and is stretched as tight as possible during the wrapping process.

Reinstall the housings and gear lever knobs.

This should eliminate the excessive play between the two parts of the gear lever, suppressing the rattle. I found this method cured the problem, for the cost of a few wraps of self-amalgamating tape. I did this about 12 months ago, and the rattle has not returned.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a different route, following a methodology that others had used before me but changing the material used:

There is a rubber bush between the two parts of the gearstick which degenerates, causing the rattle.  

I reproduced the bush using polyeurethane rubber liquid (found on e bay and designed for making polybushes).  

The problem that other people who've tried this fix have had is using products like silicon, which don't seem to work as well.

Remove gearstick, drill a single largish hole (8mm from memory? Might have been 6mm) in the upper part just below the top of the gaitor so that it's hidden when it all goes back together.  There isn't another 'way in' so drilling is the only way in.  Mix rubber solution and squirt in and cover the hole with a bit of black electrical tape.  I made a piping bag type contraption out of a rubber glove - it's quite a dense solution so won't go through a syringe but it will flow.  I let it dry for 48 hours, but I made too weak a solution, and more of the hardening agent would probably speed things up.  It works and it's been two years now... Very Happy
DaveWall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is relatively easy to fix - I would go for some sort of rubber bush (like the inner tube)  Rather than a silicone based bodge, unless you can live without the gearstick for a while and really support it well while it dries.

You really cant beat the feel of a new one though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: